German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined a few weeks ago, but I usually lurk for a long while till I post. However, I already have need for advice. I found this website because I was looking for a White Shepherd breeder. My avatar, "Shadow" my past dog who we lost last July to cancer. I found a breeder and researched her. I thought I had found a good match and tried to ask questions, which I got somewhat answers, but a lot of sending a deposit, like I would get photos so I sent a deposit. I have never bought a dog from a breeder. That was a month ago, I still have no pics, no Facebook pics. Nothing, but I am out $200 bucks! I have sent numerous emails, no response. I call, Mailbox full. What else can I do?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Were there pups on the ground? Any contract signed?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Hi from Boulder!
Sorry about your Shadow! Did you visit the breeder and check them out?
If I didn't get any sort of response I would be filing a report with the BBB and calling the Attorney Generals office to file a complaint. Not sure if you will recoup your $200.00 though.
It sounds like you wanted a puppy but have you looked into the rescue groups in Colorado? I know there's one that specially rescues WGSD's.
Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I did not visit. It is in Kansas. I didn't want the pup to fly, so I chose one close enough to drive to. I really hope to avoid legal action, I just want the puppy! I did look into a rescue group and at all the local shelters. That is when I became convinced I wanted to start with a puppy. Shadow 04/12/01-07/03/2012

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I filled out an application. I was told there were plenty of pups. Shadow 04/12/2001-07/03/2012

·
Registered
624 Posts
Did you see any? If you didn't get to see any puppies you were scammed! :(

I saw my dog in a CL ad, drove to the breeder's residence, confirmed the dog was for real, acquired the bill of sale, paid for the dog and brought her home with me.

To keep the moral of the story here short, NEVER hand over money unless you are able to take immediate possession of the animal. It protects both sides.

Bottom line there are dishonest people out there and make sure you see the animal and know its the right match before you buy it. Its not all that complicated - and remember caveat emptor is always a good rule to follow in the marketplace.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Another Colorado person! And a white shepherd person! Welcome :)

In addition to what the others said, some breeders are just really bad at communicating. My WS is from a pretty good breeder but I generally have a hard time getting in contact with her. This person could be dishonest, or they could just be really bad at responding to messages. Keep at it, hopefully you will get through to the breeder.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Perhaps you should contact the Better Business bureau? Did you try googling the breeder to see if any complaints came up?

How did you find the breeder in the first place?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts