German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Sadness led me to your site. We lost our Shephard mix (Lucky) last October to cancer. He had just turned 11. It was heartbreaking for both us and our 8 and 4 year old daughters. We had rescued him from a backyard when he was 6 months old. He had a choke chain embedded in his neck... the vet stopped counting at 100 stitches as he removed the chain link by link. Lucky recovered fully from that and was a wonderful dog for 10+ years.

Once our hearts began to heal from that, we decided to save another dog. We found Rocky, who was advertised as a 3 year old German Shepard, although we don't think he was a purebred. He was put up for adoption by his owner due to him not being able to keep two dogs in his condo. He had rescued Rocky from his parents' rental property... he had been tied to a tree in the middle of winter. He had Rocky for about a year, and was sad to have to give him up. He said that Rocky's only issue was that he gets constipated when stressed. He just had Rocky fixed, to make the adoption easier.

Rocky was everything we wanted and more. We fell in love the first day we had him. He was awesome with our 2 kids, 3 cats, and many visitors. He also loved playing with other dogs, and we planned on adopting another one soon.

Unfortunately, what the old owner had thought was not true. After almost a week of issues, we took him to our vet, and found out that he was not 3 years old. Our vet determined that he was more like 6 years old, and also has cancer of his anal glands, which explains why he had been crying when going to the bathroom the past day or so. He said that even if Rocky had been our dog for his whole life, he still wouldn't recommend removing the tumor. He feels it will come back, and be a lot worse.

The old owner, who truly loved and missed him, came to take him back today. We just can't deal with cancer again, this soon after sending Lucky to the Rainbow Bridge.

Although we only had Rocky for a week, this hurts so bad.

The one thing I can take away from this awful experience is that while researching Rocky's cancer, I found this website. I've been reading thru many threads for the past couple of hours, specifically, the Urgent Rescue thread.

Our hope is to find a young (1-2 years old) GSD who doesn't have to be purebred. Our family has feel in love with the German Shepherd breed.

I'm sure once we do find one or two GSD's, we will be reading and posting away as we adjust and train our new additions.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Such a sad story, I'm so sorry you lost such wonderful dogs. Your kindness was surely repaid with their love. Best wishes for finding a gsd that will be in your family for a long long time!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Sounds like there is a lucky dog out there somewhere that has not been found yet, once you find him I feel you both are going to be happy for many years. :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi OhioFour - I'm sorry for your losses and hope you can find your 'furever' buddy when the time is right. I would recommend checking this forum on a regular basis, as I have noticed that a lot of the rescues that come up are for some reason from Ohio. So, I'm sure your perfect friend is just waiting for you to find him/her :). Please keep us posted - we all love 'happy endings' and lots of pictures!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Ohio! I'm from Ohio too! Whereabouts? Maybe I could help you find a direction to looking for a GSD or GSD mix. Or you can come borrow my good dog (I wouldn't let anyone borrow my bad dog - they'd never want one again haha) to help occupy some time until you can find your furever friend.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Welcome! Thank you for sharing your story. I wish you good luck finding your new family member and when you do please keep us updated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another Diagnosis

Lyndsay, we are in Twinsburg (about 24 miles SE of Cleveland). Are you near?

We received some good news tonight. We are cautiously optimistic that the dog we adopted and learned has cancer was misdiagnosed by our vet. The former owner picked him up and took him to see his vet in mid Ohio and was told that he had polyps and not a cancerous tumor.

So, now we are trying to locate a vet near Bucyrus or Columbus, Ohio that can remove the "polyp" and biopsy it. The former owner's vet we're told does not have the right equipment. Anyone know of a good vet in mid Ohio?

Cross your fingers and say a few prayers for us.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm in Worthington, just north of Columbus!

Come to Columbus and go to MedVet (its actually in Worthington, about 3 minutes from my house). Its a bunch of specialty vets with lots of great equipment and great doctors. You can also go to OSU Vet - but you do have to do the whole teaching hospital thing. They are also great.

Let me know if you are going to try either of those options and if you head down this way and need a pit stop for Rocky to run around in...we've got a nice fenced backyard (currently full of toys buried under snow).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the Vet info!

Lyndsey, thanks for the vet info. I am going to suggest we go to one of the ones you mentioned and get a final diagnosis.

I will let you know when so we can meet up.

Paws crossed that all goes well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts