German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother in law got my husband a GSD for Father’s Day over the weekend. He is 8 weeks old and we are obsessed with him. Yes he is a lot of work as this is all new to both of us. The training, house training, and making sure he doesn’t chew up out furniture is a workout it’s self. The day we got him, we took him to get his first set of shots, the vet informed us to only let him in the back yard as we have not had a dog in our yard for 4+ years. I still keep an eye on him but this is the only way we can tire him out at night is to let him chase the ball.. His potty training is going great but we have let him sleep on the bed with us and now I feel like there is no going back. I don’t mind him sleeping with us , but we have a baby due in 3 months && I have a feeling we are going to run into issues with him on the bed. i also do not want to crate train him, any tips on ways to get him to sleep on his bed ?!
A German Shepard is a new breed to me, I have had labs in the past and never had a problem with them sleeping on their bed/my bed/ the floor ..

Here is a picture of our 8 week old 18lb fur ball.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Awww what a cutie! I think your best bet for getting him to sleep in his own bed would be to crate train. I know you said you didn't want to do it but think of it as giving them a den that is his own private little place where he can chill.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Welcome to the world of GSDS. Quite the handsome pup. You guys are going to be busy with 2 bundles of joy in the household soon.
I agree with the above poster, know you mentioned you didn't want to crate train, but it does provide valuable training experience and a den for the pup to call his own. Plus if you ever use a doggy daycare or need to board, he'll then have experience with being crated. Just throwing that out there.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both of you, he actually slept on the floor last night and didn’t wake us once except around 5am to pee. Happy fur momma moment! He gets hot at night on the bed I think lol so he slept on the bathroom tile 😂. If he gets antsy then I will think about crate training, thank you for your replies !

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't understand having an 80-100 pound dog on the bed and neither will you:sneaky: if you and your husband sleep together but to each their own. People think of a crate as some sort of punishment or "a cage" but in reality, dogs absolutely love them as their own safe space to relax in. My 7 month old GSD still has his crate up but open in the bedroom and he chooses to sleep in there. I have a divider up between him and my 5 year old that I'll take down soon as long as they don't try playing at 5 AM!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Well he is cute but since no one else is going to I will say it.
Does your MIL not like you? You have a baby due in 3 months and she thought a puppy was what you needed?
Either or, you need to crate train this puppy. I have few doubts that it is going to be a necessary life skill, for you and the pup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well he is cute but since no one else is going to I will say it.
Does your MIL not like you? You have a baby due in 3 months and she thought a puppy was what you needed?
Either or, you need to crate train this puppy. I have few doubts that it is going to be a necessary life skill, for you and the pup.
Hahaha no she does not hate me. My husband has always wanted a German Shepard and we just move into our new home with a HUGE backyard so she thought it was the right time. It was shocking but we have adapted. It’s been a week & this pup is actually blowing my mind !!! He sleeps on the floor now, only slept on the bed for the first 3 nights & cries when he needs to go out to do his business only once or twice a night.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Excellent decision not to have the dog on the bed with a baby on the way. I have just removed the barrier between my two dogs at night and so far, the older one has shown the younger one that they're not to move until the Master does;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts