German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a first-time GSD owner. We did our homework before deciding on a breed and love everything about the GSD. I work full-time and my husband is between jobs now...so we thought perfect time to get a puppy for housebreaking. His name is Jett--a full blooded black GSD. He is a great puppy--everything we had hoped for and more! The issue is MINE and I'm hoping for help from other GSD owners. Because my husband is home with him (logically I know this), he is my husband's shadow. When I am home, I feed him, put him out, and playtime with me is long and hard every night. I never miss because I enjoy time with him and I'm trying to bond with him too. But if my husband leaves the room, doesn't matter that I am there, he whines and goes too. Do I just have to get over this? Is there anything else I can do other than what I am currently doing? Or will this become better as he gets older maybe?

Thanks, Polly

·
Registered
766 Posts
My pup used to be my husbands shadow too. I just spent more time with him, playing, training, and taking him on walks. It really helped :) Now he's both of ours :) no favorites.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Spend one-on-one time with him having fun. Just the two of you. Take him out to special places and play with him.

You might want to sign up for obedience classes, or agility, or something similar that is fun for both of you. He may still favor your husband, but he'll bond to you and love you too!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Special places is a good suggestion. One on one time. And rewards that come just from you, whether its a certain game, treat, outing, etc.!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts