German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, I just recently as in yesterday... took in a 3 year old German Shepherd from a lady that could no longer keep her. The owners husband passed and couldn't keep her along with her 2 other large dogs. So she offered her up to a new home. The dog is from what I was told by the owner a full blood GSD, the father was all black and the mother tan and black. She was theirs since a puppy and has only been to the vet for her puppy shots... So she has a vet appointment on Tuesday to get a full work up. She also had a bit of a funk... to say the lease. I gave her a quick bath which she took like a champ. I noticed she has some dry skin flaking off her back is this normal? She is nervous and very unsure of her new surroundings. She is very sweet and has taken to my little (11) sister and likes to play with her. She is my first large dog, earlier this year I had to put down my GSD chow mix dog. I am ready for a new adventure with Cindy, which my southern accent comes out as Sidney haha. Anyway I know yall like the pics so here she is.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Very pretty girl! Welcome to forum. Please stick around and ask any questions you may have. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum. Warning you now though, people can have very strong opinions around here, so please don't be put off by that. We just love dogs.

Anyway, thanks for giving her a chance, and I look forward to hearing more about her!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Welcome!

She is gorgeous! Good luck taking her in!

Did you completely change her diet when you got her? Some foods can cause that skin flakiness you're mentioning. As far as being nervous and unsure, that is normal. Don't rush her at all. Give her her space and time and I bet she will come around. There's someone on the forum that has great advice about situations like this. They'll say somethin like, don't make too much eye contact with her yet and yawn or something while looking away. Lets the dog know you're not a threat or something!

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
She's a beautiful girl, thanks for taking her in! My dog has a little flaking during the sry summer months, so as long as it's not excessive or bothering her a lot, if it were me I wouldn't worry too much....but do ask your vet.

On another note, it isn't at all uncommon for a dog in a new environment to be a little skittish for awhile. Just take it slow, give her time to acclimate, and she'll likely be just fine! It can take upwards of 3 months foe them to adapt, so just be patient...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everybody, the pervious owner said she eat alpo dog food and it just so happens my dad bought his dogs alpo when they eat pedigree. So I got free dog food! ha. We went on our first walk around my neighborhood tonight, I made sure I went at a time when I knew no-one would be walking. She did fine smelled things, wondered behind me, I didn't force her to walk a certain way we just took are time. She also laid down a massive dog poo in my hallway, I wasn't mad just impressed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went to the vet yesterday and she is heartworm free! Thank goodness that’s what my biggest concern was. She had a tick in her ear that the dr got out. She got all her vaccines. Her left hip is a little tight but with some stretching and exercise all will be good. Next up boosters, being chipped and then spayed. She slowly warming up to the family.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Gorgeous girl and kudos on you for taking her in. It may be my screen or your camera, but the inside of her ears look a little red to me. What do they look like IRL? Is she scratching them?

Aly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts