German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently rescued a 5 and a half week old GSD/pitt mix i know shes way to young to be away from her mother but she was killed. I had a few questions i have had dogs my whole life but this is the first rather large breed i have owned and when she walks her back legs are spread wide like shes peeing and she trips a lot shes going to the vet wedsday but is this something i should be concerned about or is it just because she is so young? and one more thing she switched to kibble fine but should she be on a formula thanks for the help and any more advice will be appreciated

Tripp

·
Registered
482 Posts
Welcome! Babies are off balance and at 5 weeks she is just getting her coordination down. I dont think at this point I would be super worried about her posture. I would mix her kibble with some puppy formula to get the extra vitamins (thats just me) There are a lot of vitamins a puppy needs in order to have proper brain, muscle, bone growth, not all of them are present in kibble at that young of an age. Thanks for rescuing!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome Tripp! Circumstances meant that I picked up my GSD at about 5 weeks also, which I was not pleased about. I kept him on a mixture of puppy milk and puppy food and was given the advice to try him every so often with oatmeal and puppy milk for iron and vitamins. Coop was probably normal when walking and running but I think he tripped a bit. Now he's a healthy and happy 7 month old with a good coat. However,even though he left so early he hasn't missed out and has actually sprung right up and his legs are quite long, it's like he doesn't know how big he is so he can knock off of things when he gets excited. Your vet should let you know if she has any problems :)
If you need any advice, let me know :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome Tripp! Circumstances meant that I picked up my GSD at about 5 weeks also, which I was not pleased about. I kept him on a mixture of puppy milk and puppy food and was given the advice to try him every so often with oatmeal and puppy milk for iron and vitamins. Coop was probably normal when walking and running but I think he tripped a bit. Now he's a healthy and happy 7 month old with a good coat. However,even though he left so early he hasn't missed out and has actually sprung right up and his legs are quite long, it's like he doesn't know how big he is so he can knock off of things when he gets excited. Your vet should let you know if she has any problems :)
If you need any advice, let me know :)
o well its good to know someone was once in the same position i am shes a great dog really smart she started sleeping alone on the second night and only goes to the bathroom outside. how early did you start training your pup i was thinking whenever she starts to walk right obvi but is any age to early thanks for the welcomes everyone and the advise also

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm glad to offer any advice! Coop started picking things up from when we first got him, just the small things. But you will know when she's ready! She will start listening to you and becoming more alert and you can start her off with puppy treats, just make sure they are soft and not the harder ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts