German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is Kalona,:wub: she is 4 months old and joined our family yesterday! She is so sweet, however, I am having a hard time getting her to not be skiddish around everyone. Its like she is scared of me. :confused: Whenever my boyfriend is around she will not leave his side. Anyone have any ideas on how to get her to come out of her shell?

·
Registered
800 Posts
You just brought her home yesterday, right? Give her a little time to adjust and soak everything in. I would imagine she's a bit overwhelmed at the moment. It'll work out, just be patient.;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You just brought her home yesterday, right? Give her a little time to adjust and soak everything in. I would imagine she's a bit overwhelmed at the moment. It'll work out, just be patient.;)
Im trying to be patient, I just want to cuddle, haha

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois!

Just a curious question, how did you come up with the name Kalona?

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Hello and Welcome, to you and Kalona! :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Anyone have any ideas on how to get her to come out of her shell?
Some beef jerky treats should make her think you're pretty special. Give her little peices and let her know you have more. She'll come around....and then wont leave you alone....lol. :)

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
We adopted Cassie last May. She was 1 1/2 years old when we got her and she had been in a foster home for several months when we picked her up. She was the same way, acted like she didn't care for my wife or our daughter. She just ignored Gunnar. She was ok with me and was a velcro dog for the first few days but after she got adjusted to all the "new" she has been a wonderful dog. Give her a little time and you'll get plenty of "cuddle time".
Good luck, she looks like a beautiful dog.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello and welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois!

Just a curious question, how did you come up with the name Kalona?
I actually just stumbled across it on a website, but I love your dogs name, and he's beautiful. Her littermate is actually a black male!

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I actually just stumbled across it on a website, but I love your dogs name, and he's beautiful. Her littermate is actually a black male!
Oh, I thought it was from the book series "The House Of Night". There is a character in there named Kalona.

Thank you for the compliment! :)

I love sables and your Kalona is a beauty!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Kalona is a beautiful girl.

As everyone said it will take time for her to adjust and warm up to you. When we first brought Victor home he was attached to my husband and just kinda ignored me for the first 2-3 days. I played ball with him and spent lots of time with him as I am his main caregiver and now he follows me everywhere. It just took me doing activities with him and time(about two weeks) to form a bond. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well thank you! She has spent her 4 months in a barn, I just didnt think she'd be so skiddish. Shes so pretty, I dont care if she never warms up to me, I can love her from afar, haha:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Welcome to the board from another Illinoisian!!!!

Your pup is just beautiful. First 4 months in a barn. No wonder. She needs time to adjust to her new home.

I would consider a training class once she feels more comfortable in her new home. She's probably overwhelmed right now....good luck!!!!! :)

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
:welcome: Also from Central IL

She is beautiful

If she hasn't been well socialized you need to start getting her out a lot! and now. Take an OB class, socialize, train, play, explore all these things will help her bond you you more quickly.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Welcome from another inmate of the once great State of Illinois...
Where our governors serve two terms...one in office and one in prison...

West central here...Galesburg area...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois, Sounds like she needs to get use to your household and may need lots of good ole socialization to help her

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Welcome from Northern IL! She is a cutie, hot dogs worked for me or string cheese.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts