German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me were Canada gets its service dogs from, be it, search and rescue- military-
I know some of them come from the pound but more of them come from proven breeding programs, can someone point me in the right direction

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
My sister in law raises/socializes poodles for service. I will call her tomorrow. Deb

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
There are a few people in Ontario, which I gave you the names for over FB already, that go between breeders and act as middlemen for the police. Establish relationships with surrounding units and "show" dogs. Another thing being breeders themselves contacting Police and offering older male puppies / young green dogs.

The officer in charge of the Waterloo Region Police K9 unit will look at high prey drive dogs - young green adults. They don't get them from anywhere specifically, no organization or company specifically. They don't require a registered, purebred dog either.

I believe it is the same with military.

A lot of the dogs get donated, too.

Search and rescue is a volunteer service, so people usually get dogs specifically for that purpose from breeders or rescues.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The RCMP runs an in-house breeding program for their working dogs at Innisfail, Alberta. Their website does not say if they source dogs from outside breeders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts