German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems we have lots of new puppies on this board with lots of questions about food, weight and training issues. I don't know much about forums and how to do stuff but I thought it might be cool to start a thread for puppies around the same age where someone could suggest a game or idea for puppy training/imprinting/socializing each week that we could all try and then we could compare notes about what worked or didn't work! I mean really where else can we obsess about razor sharp teeth, what we are feeding and the consistency of our puppies poop at any given time! Those of you with older dogs can check in too and give advice since you have already been through this! If you are like me you feel like you have an awesome pup with unlimited potential...as long as you use this critical period of development wisely and don't screw him up! With all of the unsocialized, fearful dogs out there we have to take this seriously and make sure our pups have everything they need to succeed!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Thats a good idea, Ill be sure to stop in from time to time to check in. Sarge is about 4 but id still like to see how this goes.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok! Radar is just over three months, Probably a little over 20 lbs, eats Innova puppy 4 or 5 cups a day and is still on the skinny side and is in to everything!!!!

We have been working on sit, platz, recall and a little on stay. We do this positively usually with a clicker. He is doing well but still sometimes needs a visual prompt for platz. We do lots of drive building with balls and tugs.

His breeder and trainer just showed us "two ball" this week. In an attempt to burn off some of the energy he gets just before bed time we throw a ball for him to retreive and when he is almost back to us we throw another ball so he will drop the ball in his mouth and turn to get the other. The biggest mistake we were making with the ball was throwing it way too far. Out trainer said to start off- toss it low to the ground not too far and then be ready to throw the second ball and just the right time to get him really going fast. He could not visually track a tennis ball as it was being thrown until just lately and I guess its because we were throwing it from our standing height, not low to the ground and way too far away! It seems like common sense the ball should be thrown at their eye level, not mine, but I really didn't hink about it! Now I can throw it fast and high and he will usually see it.

What are you working on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, right now we are working on the "no biting" and crate training. The crate training is going alot better than the biting problem. He is getting better though.

Ace eats Pedigree puppy chow for now. I am going to start him on a BARF diet within the next week. I have been adding some burger to his kibble every day, reducing the kibble and increasing the burger.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I will definitely be joining you guys from next week! I am getting my second GSD on Tuesday. She is about 10 weeks old now, but I am not sure of her exact b-day. The joys of crate trainings, house training and poop nalysis. I have missed it so much! NOT!!!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Jackson is 10 weeks old....already learned sit, come (for the most part), rings a bell to go outside to potty and getting a little better at being in his crate...but he is all puppy for sure right now...the biting is driving me up the wall.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi there. We have a 4 1/2 month old male named Link. He was house trained in a couple of days and took well to the crate (the breeder had introduced the puppies to it). We are still working on the nipping. Every once in a while those hormones seem to take over and he goes crazy, usually it is feet he likes. We are on our second last Puppy school this Sunday. At Obedience school he has learned to sit, come, lay down, stay (sometimes). We also right now let him walk on a loose leash but he usually stays at the heel position and he encourage him to sit at each corner before we cross the street. He eats 4 cups of Acana (kibble made in Alberta, Canada). He now only eats twice a day so 2 cups in the morning and 2 at night. He goes anywhere from 10pm to 11pm until 8 am without going outside, we don't restrict his water.

I am new to the forums and have loved reading all the posts. Have found some really useful information.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi there. We have a 4 1/2 month old male named Link. He was house trained in a couple of days and took well to the crate (the breeder had introduced the puppies to it). We are still working on the nipping. Every once in a while those hormones seem to take over and he goes crazy, usually it is feet he likes. We are on our second last Puppy school this Sunday. At Obedience school he has learned to sit, come, lay down, stay (sometimes). We also right now let him walk on a loose leash but he usually stays at the heel position and he encourage him to sit at each corner before we cross the street. He eats 4 cups of Acana (kibble made in Alberta, Canada). He now only eats twice a day so 2 cups in the morning and 2 at night. He goes anywhere from 10pm to 11pm until 8 am without going outside, we don't restrict his water.

I am new to the forums and have loved reading all the posts. Have found some really useful information.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Anton is almost 13 weeks. He's on my avatar on the left
I don't do any real training right now, just the basic sit, down, come using happy voice and kibble for the treats. The main thing I'm focused on right now is name recognition, focus and socializing. Also I've started doing some puppy runaways and it's fun! He is such a sweet baby and I want to enjoy his puppyhood as much as possible

He is a very gentle puppy, no nipping. I was thinking that maybe all his desire to bite and nip is satisfied with the older dog so he treats us nicely
He doesn't like the crate but settles down there fairly quick. What I love about him is an ability to settle down next to my feet when he realizes that he's not going to engage me in any game at the moment. When I work at the computer he's happy to snooze under my desk. He is not completely housetrained yet and once in a while he pees in the house when overexcited.

I can't wait till his last shot to start taking him everywhere.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
whats up. tyson is 5 1/2 months old. on the verge of graduateing basic obediance. i have been looking into schutzhund training. our basic obediance trainer is part of a club and im hopeing to join once we are finished with BO. he was introduced to puppy classes at 9 weeks old and by then he had already known "sit" and "down." he was house trained in just a few short days. i could count on one hand how many times we have had to clean up an accident and it was probably more our fault than his seeing how we would get distracted with other things and forget that he needed to go out every half hour or so.

last time i weighed him at the vet he weighed 50lbs and stood 19 inches tall at 5 months. he is on Royal Canin large breed pup food and seems to be doing good on it, just switched him from eagle pack that he didnt seem to like too well. the nipping and biteing have slowed down a little bit, altho it is no where close to being history.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
We are off of 31E; right where Vietnam Vets used to drop into 31E north. Cages Bend area. You know - the area they keep pointing to on the radar during the last two bad storms that came through and tough down north of us :) . We are 2.5 miles where the tornados hit 2 years ago on Station Camp.....

Joints are growing.

Off to work. Be careful today. Warm and storms are traveling in

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! What SCHh club do you guys work with? I live close to 109 so I am not that far your you! The photos of your dogs on your k9import page are georgous!

soo... why no 2 ball at 3 months? Now I'm curious!

I alsmost never listen to the weather so thanks for the warning!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally Posted By: Helly
Originally Posted By: TNGSD
Originally Posted By: Smithie86On that young, we hold off on the two ball
how come? I think we are near you - Mt. Juliet!
Wow!! My husband is from Mt. Juliet!
Really? We are not orginally from here. If you guys ever come back to visit let me know! You will have to tell your husband we recently had a huge shopping area built at the top of mount juliet Rd. with a Target, movie theaters, o'charlies, red robin, olive garden.... and soon we will have a Walmart when the horse farm used to be!

·
Registered
48 Posts
We picked up Enoch last night and we are very happy with him. He is crying in the crate a lot but that is to be expected. What an adventure this is going to be. Quick question. I keep the water in the crate but he keeps knocking it over because he's crying and moving around a lot. Any suggestions. I was told to let him have access to water until about 5 pm but he keeps knocking it over.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts