German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

So Jackson turned 8 months old on the 5th of January, and he has started testing me within the past month or two, and I am not sure the best way to go about this!

I remember this summer, we were at the dog park. There was a guy there with his GSD, and he asked if he started testing me yet, and to be honest I didn't know what the heck he was talking about. I have had 2 puppies before Jackson, and didn't remember such thing! Well, let me tell you, I now know exactly what he was talking about!

For instance, the dogs are not allowed in our living room. If I catch him sneaking in, I tell him "out" which is a command he knows, and he stops and looks at me for a few seconds. I have to stare at him, and if I break a stare, he will ignore me! After about 3 seconds of the stare down he does as he's told! He also does this day to day with other commands such as if I tell him to lay down, or whatever. He looks at me for a few seconds, and then after he realizes I'm serious, he goes and does it. It's never a quick process. He also does this with my husband, but he seems to take him a little more seriously. I know dogs have to learn their place, that they are the dogs, and not people. He is dominate over Arlo. Not sure if he's testing his place with us? Probably. :laugh:

HELP! I am trying to practice NILIF with him, and have started practicing it heavily in the past month. He never gets anything without earning it. I have been putting him on short timeouts when he gets out of line and ignores me. Is this even going to work? I am not sure what to do or what is best effective? Do timeouts even work for dogs??? And HOW LONG does this testing phase last :help:

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Coincidentally, this is the age where they start getting dumped in shelters. Most GSDs that end up in our rescue are 8 months to 2 years.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hehe Brodys doing the same thing :)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coincidentally, this is the age where they start getting dumped in shelters. Most GSDs that end up in our rescue are 8 months to 2 years.
Well, that's too bad.

I am not sure if you think that is what I am going to do with my dog?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh man, well does anybody have any suggestions? Clearly we all are having "problems," lol!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I said this in another post lol

Dogs take men more serious than women, my gsd listens to me and obeys every command stare or no stare , I could walk him off the lead no problem and he would walk beside me........... but my girlfriend , the dog take the hand out of her and doesn't listen at all and it bites the lead when she walks it, and it also pulls all the time.

Show him who is boss, simple.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Well, that's too bad.

I am not sure if you think that is what I am going to do with my dog?

Oh no, of course not! You seem like a great owner who really cares about your dog. Just thought it was an interesting fact. My last three fosters were between 7 and 14 months of age and they were all holy terrors, so I can commiserate with you. I'm sure when my pup is around that age I'll be reminding myself of this fact again. Like when my dad used to say, "I brought you into this world; I can take you out and make another one that looks just like you!"

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How is the *best* was to show him who's boss without being harsh? I thought that practicing NILIF was a good way to do that, but maybe not? I want to build a good, strong relationship with him, but I want to be taken seriously! Or is this just an age thing? He's still very much a puppy, that's for sure!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Just keep making them obey the command you are giving- they grow out of it if you don't slack off and ignore the stubbornness. When Zoe went through her butt head stage and she's not fully out of it yet I made it point to up my training with her, used her favorite foods and toys only, and gave the command ONCE. If she didn't listen I invaded her space with my body but never touched her- just leaned into her so she was uncomfortable. When she finally listen I stepped back and gave her a treat. Now when she hesitates all I have to do is begin to walk towards her and she obey's knowing I'm going to stand an inch away from her looking at her until she listens....they don't like that;)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh no, of course not! You seem like a great owner who really cares about your dog. Just thought it was an interesting fact. My last three fosters were between 7 and 14 months of age and they were all holy terrors, so I can commiserate with you. I'm sure when my pup is around that age I'll be reminding myself of this fact again. Like when my dad used to say, "I brought you into this world; I can take you out and make another one that looks just like you!"
Oh, ok! It is an interesting fact...but believeable. I can see how someone who's unexperienced as a whole with pets and hasn't thought through dog ownership could easily give up. It's frustrating, sometimes a bit funny, and challenging, that's for sure. I know we can get past it, I'm just not sure the best way about it??

LOL @ the quote from your dad!!!! That's pretty funny.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My advice...smile and just hang in there. Zoe just had her first birthday...her energy level is through the roof! Like...not normal. If she were a child, she would be on ADHD medication. She gets plenty of exercise and attention...it's just a phase...the teenage years...I hope!!! But I feel your pain- these last few weeks have been ****. She has a dog her size (and her age) to play with and it has been out of control. We are fostering a male GSD and they are fire and gasoline. I know they love each other and love to play...but I fear our house may fall down LOL! So just be glad that you don't have TWO :) :) :) Our next foster will be more elderly.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Dogs take men more serious than women
Maybe in your house, for sure not in mine.

How is the *best* was to show him who's boss without being harsh? I thought that practicing NILIF was a good way to do that, but maybe not?
It is. Assuming you have a strong foundation of teaching the rules in puppyhood (which it sounds like you do) just keep reinforcing the rules. You don't have to be mean or abusive, just don't let him break or even bend the rules. For example, when you told him "out," and he didn't comply, don't indulge him in a staring match. Give him 2 or 3 seconds to obey you, then get up and drag his puppy butt by the collar back to wherever he's supposed to be. Do this with everything. Tell him, give him a couple of seconds, and then enforce. At this stage, don't ever give a command that you can't enforce.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just keep making them obey the command you are giving- they grow out of it if you don't slack off and ignore the stubbornness. When Zoe went through her butt head stage and she's not fully out of it yet I made it point to up my training with her, used her favorite foods and toys only, and gave the command ONCE. If she didn't listen I invaded her space with my body but never touched her- just leaned into her so she was uncomfortable. When she finally listen I stepped back and gave her a treat. Now when she hesitates all I have to do is begin to walk towards her and she obey's knowing I'm going to stand an inch away from her looking at her until she listens....they don't like that;)
Thanks for the advice. I tend to repeat, repeat, repeat, the command until he does it. He's EXTREMLEY food driven, and I train with kibble so that makes it easy. He also has a new favorite toy, the tennis ball!

What I usually do, is that if I have to tell him something over and over and over, I mean like 5x (for instance, the other day he was barking and snapping at a pillow he wanted that my BIL was holding) I put him on timeout in his crate. He knows that if im coming towards him, that means timeout, and he THEN listens to me. And that's a problem! I don't think I should have to get off my butt and go after him for him to obey!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

It is. Assuming you have a strong foundation of teaching the rules in puppyhood (which it sounds like you do) just keep reinforcing the rules. You don't have to be mean or abusive, just don't let him break or even bend the rules. For example, when you told him "out," and he didn't comply, don't indulge him in a staring match. Give him 2 or 3 seconds to obey you, then get up and drag his puppy butt by the collar back to wherever he's supposed to be. Do this with everything. Tell him, give him a couple of seconds, and then enforce. At this stage, don't ever give a command that you can't enforce.
Thanks Emoore. He definately knows the rules. He knows that Arlo is another dog, myself, husband, and son are the humans and he needs to listen to us. He will even do commands from my three year old which I like to see. He knows what he is allowed to do and what he isn't. But MAN does he push the rules!!!

Your advice not to give a command I can't enforce is good...I'm now thinking of it this way...if he's across the room and I can't catch him or lead him out, maybe that's NOT a good time to command him out? Because my way obviously isn't working!! Good point.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unfortunately at this age you do. Give the command once and then enforce. Otherwise he'll learn that you don't *really* mean it.
See? This breed really is too smart for it's own good! lol. I love them though....but that's exactly what appears to be happening.

·
Registered
173 Posts

Same here. Zoe thinks...wait...KNOWS my husband is all fun and games...me on the other hand...I'm the enforcer ;)

It depends on your personality and the way you present yourself to your dog...not your sex.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
This is a great thread. Niko started doing the same thing a few months ago. I give a command and receive a blank stare.... I'm really hoping he grows out of it soon! We are doing as has been suggested, always enforcing our rules and doing NILIF. Can't wait until this phase is over.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts