German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had Luke now for 5 days and his energy level seems to go down every day.
Luke is a 6 month old gsd who we got from a family who could no longer care for him. He started off like I remember Daphne acting at that age, play-sleep, play-sleep, etc. Today we went for our morning walk and he had a little play time with Daphne but after that it's been sleeping or laying for the rest of the day.
I wonder if his muscles are sore. I don't think he got as much activity in his previous home as he has very little muscle on his body. Now that he is doing Daphne's level of activity, maybe it's just too much for him? I gave his legs and shoulders a little massage and he really seemed to enjoy it, but he just went back to sleep. I'm hoping I don't have to cut back on activity because Daphne goes nuts if she doesn't get enough and Luke has a bit of separation anxiety so I can't really leave him.
He went to the vet Saturday to get all his vacs so I wonder if this may be some side effects from the meds? He also seems a bit sniffly since the day after he went to the vet. Didn't eat breakfast this morning either, that's first meal he has skipped since we have had him. Poor little guy.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Baby used to have a reaction to his vaccinations, although they were a little more immediate and alarming. I should think if he's had a reaction to the vaccine it would get better as time goes by, not worse. Or course, I'm not a doctor. Have you checked with the vet?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't really worried about it until today so I haven't talked to the vet yet. I plan to give her a call tomorrow. Unfortunately the vet that gave him his vaccinations is down in TN and I am back in IL.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Don't panic. Dogs sleep as a way to block stress..we see it often at the animal hospital. Cats, too. He's gone through a lot of major changes: new home, new human family, new dog pack family, more exercise, new rules, etc etc etc. Give him time to adjust in his own way; his energy level will spring back up in no time!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
What all vax did Jake get? Did you get rabies with the other puppy shots? That is a huge cocktail to absorb. Hopefully the vet didn't give a bordatella vax as well... he may have a reaction to what he was exposed to. I wish Pauld would have posted an update!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
The vax will do it, but also, keep in mind when the post was made, they only had the dog for 5 days. He may have been a little down about losing his original owner.

·
Registered
936 Posts
What all vax did Jake get? Did you get rabies with the other puppy shots? That is a huge cocktail to absorb. Hopefully the vet didn't give a bordatella vax as well... he may have a reaction to what he was exposed to. I wish Pauld would have posted an update!
Agree. I usually keep vacs to 3 at the most at one time. No cocktails mixes (5 in 1 or 7 in 1) and separate the rabies from other vaccines by at least three weeks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts