German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5yo Yorkshire is showing symptons of dog poisoning (that's what the vet told us). Yesterday he was lethargic, we noticed him "off" a few days before but as soon as he'd go outside he'd be back to normal, but not yesterday , he didn't want to walk he was just standing there and neither wanted to eat.

We took him to the vet and there we were told that he was suffering from "colitis" he was prescribed a few things and we were told to come back today in the morning to do a bloodtest. Yesterday night he vomited a meal or that's what we think, we believe it was the meal from the day before yesterday and then again this morning he vomited yellow bile.

This morning the vet told us to leave him there, at the clinic, the vet didn't want him to Dehydrate (sp?) and we were told to come back at 5pm. In about 40minuts we're going to the clinic, we'll have the results and see how it goes..

The thing is we don't have any kind of poison, the vet asked us about rat poison, that maybe he had eaten a pill, we don't use rat poison or any kind of posion BUT this saturday, we left him in the garage for a while by the time we put him back in his head was dirty, really dirty, he had spent the time under the car i believe fetching a "rat", i let him out again just to recheck what he was doing and there he went again, he was under the car standing in his hind legs "fetching". He has this thing for rats, we usually don't have problem with them, maybe one in a year and he's the one that handles it, the one that let us know that's there's a rat in the garage, anyways..Maybe he "tasted" Car's oil, I don't know.. that's what his head was covered of..

The results aren't there yet so we're looking for an explanation while we wait and all we got thus far is that maybe he drank/tasted car's oil.. we called about 1 hour ago and we were told that he's no showing improvements thus far..

·
Registered
512 Posts
Colitis is definitely not limited to poisoning- mixing raw and kibble, or eating spoiled foods are often causes. Unless he's coming back with blood tests that indicate poisoning, I wouldn't leap to that conclusion, especially if he's been off for days.

Colitis, *if* that's what this is, is usually best addressed with antibiotics, a 24 hour fast, followed by very bland over-cooked chicken and rice boiled to a mushy state, slowly building back up to the regular diet over the course of several days.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Colitis is definitely not limited to poisoning- mixing raw and kibble, or eating spoiled foods are often causes. Unless he's coming back with blood tests that indicate poisoning, I wouldn't leap to that conclusion, especially if he's been off for days.

Colitis, *if* that's what this is, is usually best addressed with antibiotics, a 24 hour fast, followed by very bland over-cooked chicken and rice boiled to a mushy state, slowly building back up to the regular diet over the course of several days.
Thanks SchDDR, that's what the vet mentioned "dog poisoning" after seeing no improvement from yesterday but like you said it's not 100% accurate. The vet preescribed him an antiflatulent (sp?) :confused:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope you get the results soon!

It must be so stressful, hope everything turns out well!
Thanks Dejavu! It is, right now we're leaving to the clinic :fingerscrossed:

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
could he have gotten into some anti freeze? definately a poison and am told it tastes sweet so dogs like to drink it:(

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I was thinking anti-freeze also because he was dirty in the garage but if it's anti-freeze it would have to be from an open container of fresh or dirty anti-freeze.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The results weren't good.. he has the UREA really high (132) though the creatinine is okay; The ALT is also high and so is the AST, that's what I remember and turns out he has Ehrlichiosis, his platelets are really low, 25.

We left him there, they will treat him with antibiotics (Penicillin),B vitamins... We're going to see him tomorrow morning.. :(

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
the antibiotics will hopefully kick in fast,,Id' suggest doxycyline vs penicillin..please keep us updated hope he'll be ok.

·
Registered
512 Posts
While it sounds scary, that's not a horrid diagnosis. Certainly far better than liver/kidney destroying poisoning.

The antibiotics should wipe out the bacterial infection. Please post back once he's home so we can focus on getting his stomach sorted out. The antibiotics are going to wipe out the good flora in his gut, and the colitis caused by the opportunistic ehrlichiosis will have to be overcome.

I second doxy as the antibiotic of choice for tick-borne bacterial infection.

Seriously though, this is not a completely awful outcome.

I'm glad he wasn't poisoned.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the antibiotics will hopefully kick in fast,,Id' suggest doxycyline vs penicillin..please keep us updated hope he'll be ok.
As soon as I heard he had Ehrlichiosis I mentioned the vet about treating him with Doxy and she told me that We'd need to first focus on the high level of UREA and then move on with the Doxy.. :confused:

Did they do a PT (prothrombin) time? There are 3 types of rat poison, but the type that affects clotting is the most common and easiest to treat (vitamin K.)
Thanks! but Turns out that it had nothing to do with Poison..

While it sounds scary, that's not a horrid diagnosis. Certainly far better than liver/kidney destroying poisoning.

The antibiotics should wipe out the bacterial infection. Please post back once he's home so we can focus on getting his stomach sorted out. The antibiotics are going to wipe out the good flora in his gut, and the colitis caused by the opportunistic ehrlichiosis will have to be overcome.

I second doxy as the antibiotic of choice for tick-borne bacterial infection.

Thanks..SchDDR reading that really made me feel better..:hug: The vet told me that We'll focus on his High level of urea and then We'd start treating with doxy :confused:

She told me that By now Seems like there's some kind of problem with his Kidney/Liver basing on the results..

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And Yes, I'll keep posting as soon as he gets home, the vet said that he may need to spend some days there, we'll see tomorrow.. And the fact that she kept saying HOW AWFUL were those results wasn't actually helping, she doesn't understand how he'd descompensate (sp?) so fast. I recall her mentioning something about hepatitis too..

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Woops! misread the "turns out" with Ehrlichiosis and thought that was just a possibility on the table.

Hope he starts feeling better fast!!
Thanks Lin:)

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
And Yes, I'll keep posting as soon as he gets home, the vet said that he may need to spend some days there, we'll see tomorrow.. And the fact that she kept saying HOW AWFUL were those results wasn't actually helping, she doesn't understand how he'd descompensate (sp?) so fast. I recall her mentioning something about hepatitis too..
He will get sicker and sicker if they don't use the right antibiotic :(

Dogs with Ehrlichia can be sick for years and you don't know it, until they critically and/or fatally crash (like your Yorkie did). This is a process that happens over years typically.

I am very worried that your vet is not well schooled on this disease process. You will have to be your boy's advocate in his care.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts

I'm glad it wasn't poison either, but this is a potentially fatal outcome, with platelets that low, this says that this is a chronic infection, which may or may not respond to only antibiotics. Worse yet, this is a vet that doesn't know which antibiotics to use :(....I'm hoping that they meant to tell Helios tetracycline but accidentally said penicillin.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts