German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, unbeknownst to me, my boyfriend had the vet do a DNA test on Zimmer, and about three-ish weeks later, I'm going through the mail, only to find the letter with Zim's results.

I honestly thought it was just going to be an ad, trying to get me to fork over money for their services, but it turned out to be Zimmer's breed analysis. I, of course, angrily called my boyfriend, asking him why the **** he would shell out the money for something like that when it really doesn't matter what Zim is mixed with, and his response was: "It's just for fun. Maybe he's mixed with Cocker Spaniel." :rolleyes:

Anyway, according to the results, Zimmer's parents were both GSDs with one of them being mixed with... Alaskan Klee Klai. What?! Out of all the breeds I would have guessed he could have MAYBE been mixed with, or had some sort of lineage of, I could never have come up with Alaskan Klee Kai. At that point, I just started laughing, because I looked at Zimmer, who comes up to my knees in height, and I thought, "This is just weird."

Am I saying it's not possible? No. I mean, I've seen some strange looking mixed breeds before, but my own dog mixed with Alaskan Klee Kai? It's a little... Odd.

I don't put a lot of faith into the Wisdom Panel, as I've heard it can be wildly inaccurate, but it did give me a good laugh.

P.S. Here's a picture of Zimmer, just to show you why I laughed... It's hard to imagine him being anything other than a GSD.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,705 Posts
lol on top of why he would want to know...the tests aren't very accurate so he probably wasted his money

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
To me that looks very much like a purebred German Shepherd.
Perfect example of how DNA tests can be incorrect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IdK maybe he's mixed with a doberman . he does have pretty long legs. Unless you neutered him before 6 months old.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
He's a rescue dog, so we know nothing about his history before he came to us, which was when he was around 10 months old. He's a little over a year old now.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hahaha, I really enjoy reading dna results and seeing pictures of the dogs. Some of them make sense, some do not. My question is - exactly how many intact, irresponsibly owned Alaskan Klee Klai's are running around out there breeding with German shepherds? Lol, you could make up a designer name and wow people when they ask about him, then show them the proof of the 'DNA pedigree' :p

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Your boy looks PB to me. legs are a little longer than I'd expect but I've seen several GSDs with a deer like physique lol. DNA tests are waste of money.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I know how Shepherds are angulated. :)

Just because that dog doesn't have much angulation, doesn't mean anything.
I know you know but I was giving a reference to what I'm seeing and why I think what I think. BC you asked how some one could mistake him for a Doberman and I'm just explaining what I'm thinking... More so with pictures. ;)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Man I wish I had a picture of Brune. PB GSD. TALL boy. All legs. Worked with him for a few days on overcoming his fear of other dogs. He improved greatly but ALL legs.

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
I don't see any Doberman in there. I do not see any Alaskan Klee Klai either.

I have seen an awful lot of GSDs that look nothing like one another. There are solid colored dogs, there are a variety of showlines, and working line dogs, and mixtures of all the different lines with various levels of one line in them, or a mixture of several different lines.

And there are genetic faults like happy tails and soft or down ears. Some have a long croup and a short back, others have a longer back and less angulation.

And coats, some are skin-tight, others are medium in length, others are plush, others are long coats. Some have no undercoat and others do.

Some bitches weight 50-55 pounds and other bitches weigh 100.

The breed has so much variance in it, it really should be something striking to suggest a dog without proper paperwork has another breed in it.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
LOL! I had to look up the Alaskan Klee Klai. It's Tiny! I don't see any toy dog in the OPs photo ;)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Yeah the chance of it having Alaskan Klee Klai in it are between .... slim and none, with heavy leanings toward none. hehe

·
Registered
938 Posts
If he got the mixed breed DNA test, that might be the problem. The mixed breed test cannot identify lineage, only genetic content. So if 13% of your dog's DNA happens to overlap with the AKK's in their database, it will show up even if he is pure GSD. In general, Wisdom Panel is not great at identifying true Heinz 57 dogs. It is okay at identifying when a dog has a "high content" or 50% or more resemblance to a particular breed. If the AKK is showing up as a minor breed, I would say it's safe to say that both of his parents are actually GSDs.

The purebred test is actually a little more reliable, because it makes several different comparisons to a known cluster and sees how closely your dog matches that cluster. It cannot determine parentage, but it can identify whether or not your dog matches the genetic profile of others in the breed. So, it won't tell you if your dog is truly purebred but it will confirm that it inherited similar genes to a purebred.

Technically, if you got insanely lucky, you could cross two maltipoos and end up with 100% poodle according to this test. This is statistically almost impossible but theoretically it could happen.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts