German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So loki is now 20 weeks old and for the last couple of days he's had the major squits. His stools just started as loose and then they turned yellow and now this morning he's actually squirting out liquid yellow poo. He eats applaws dry puppy food and has since we got him. First we wondered if maybe they'd changed the ingredients but from what we can see its the same.
I'm not sure what to do as we've just moved house and money's a bit short at the moment. Obviously I want him to get better. Is a vet trip in order?
I tried him on chicken and rice and that made the stools a bit more solid but not back to normal.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Severe diarrhea especially in uoung pups can lead to dehyrdration very fast.

My rule is 2 days of diarrhea they go to the vet. If they are having constant extreme blow out diarrhea that is basically water they need to go after 24 hours.

There are so many contagious diseases puppies are prone to

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know it's several days after this so I hope that Loki is already better. However, if not. I would go to the vet. Very liquid stools are dangerous and if it's nothing that was introduced into his diet I would imagine it might be a disease or a parasite. There are plenty of sites out there that will tell you to use pumpkin or use rice but these aren't as effective for very liquid stools and work better for more of a pudding consistency.

You can check skin turgor on your dog which will give you an idea about his hydration level. Gently pinch the skin on the top of his head and between his shoulder blades. If it immediately returns to normal that's an indication that he's adequately hydrated. If the skin stays tented for any length of time, he might be dehydrated. This doesn't give you an accurate picture of his overall condition, however, so I would still take him to the vet if he seems lethargic or isn't drinking.

If the diarrhea is only after he eats and he has it at the time of what would be his normal bowel movements (15-20 minutes after he eats) it might be food related. If it's more frequent it's probably not food related.

Good luck and I hope Loki is feeling better!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it's several days after this so I hope that Loki is already better. However, if not. I would go to the vet. Very liquid stools are dangerous and if it's nothing that was introduced into his diet I would imagine it might be a disease or a parasite. There are plenty of sites out there that will tell you to use pumpkin or use rice but these aren't as effective for very liquid stools and work better for more of a pudding consistency.

You can check skin turgor on your dog which will give you an idea about his hydration level. Gently pinch the skin on the top of his head and between his shoulder blades. If it immediately returns to normal that's an indication that he's adequately hydrated. If the skin stays tented for any length of time, he might be dehydrated. This doesn't give you an accurate picture of his overall condition, however, so I would still take him to the vet if he seems lethargic or isn't drinking.

If the diarrhea is only after he eats and he has it at the time of what would be his normal bowel movements (15-20 minutes after he eats) it might be food related. If it's more frequent it's probably not food related.

Good luck and I hope Loki is feeling better!
Thank you for your comment, I took loki to the vets on the day I posted this and they've put him on sensitivity food, just chicken and rice and that seems to be doing him good as we haven't had any water poos like before! The vet said it could be a number of things, we've had really intense heat the last week so apparently that can cause bowel issues or maybe he ate something that disagreed with him.
The vet checked him over and said he was super healthy and a great weight, not dehydrated and seemed ok in himself so I've got him on this sensi food and I'm gonna see how he goes! Thanks very much for your advise though, will be super helpful if it ever happens again or gets worse

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
I tried him on chicken and rice and that made the stools a bit more solid but
Keep it this way yet another month, just feed in addition calcium rich treats and tablet vitamins, it takes time for his system of digestion to normalize. Because worming tablets can put strain on your dog's liver, instead, force 3-4 cloves of garlic into his throat in case the reason are the worms. Garlic also helps to get rid of harmful bacteria from guts. Does he feel happy? I think your dog stopped to digest that what you were feeding him. Some dogs cannot digest beef, some dogs cannot digest poltry. Your vet, most likely would like to see test results before assuming anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts