German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spock is usually quite good. He gets mouthy when he needs to go to the bathroom (he grabs my fingers and pulls me), but it isn't aggressive. He does this annoying running-like-a-maniac-while-nipping-me-to-entice-me-into-chasing-him mouthiness.

But then, when I correct him (usually by snapping my fingers and pointing at him, or a nudge like Cesar does), he sometimes does a whine/bark and snaps at my fingers. He's never made contact, but it's a clear "Eff you, I will do what I want". He does it far less with my dad, so it's obviously a respect issue.

He also will sometimes do it when I tell him to sit before going inside. He knows he is supposed to, and he knows what I'm telling him, but he just doesn't want to. So when I tap his rear to get his attention (he does the "I'm not listening, I'm staring over there at that leaf thing"), he will snap at me. Like I said, he's never actually bitten me. He just gets as close as he can, whining, teeth barred.

Any tips?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Spock is your Husky/GSD mix? as far as the GSD half goes.... sounds like he needs more enforcement training. As far as the husky half goes.... well i have nothing on that for you as i'm not a fan of huskies and tend not like their indepence. I dont like the "work for my food? are you insane?" look they give you. I would say just practice enforcement training. He doesnt get ANYTHING he wants unless he obeys. No ifs ands or buts about it. AND he has no choice but to listen.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I'd suggest another course of action from imitating Cesar. If you use a correction with your dog and it makes him react in way you don't like, it is a good sign that correction is not appropriate for that dog.

When he is doing this running and snapping to try to get you to play, your best bet is to just walk away and close a door/gate between you and him. The best correction for attention seeking behaviors that you don't like is for them to have the opposite effect of what the dog was looking for.

Does Spock get very excited to go outside? Again, you have a correction that is causing an undesirable behavior. The best thing to do in that case is to do something else. Why get into a physical battle with your dog when you can teach them to cooperate with you?

Huskies do tend towards being touch sensitive and many dislike being reached for, even by their people. They often do not respond well to physical correction and because of that, many trainers 30 or so years ago truly believed the breed was untrainable. Obviously they are trainable but in general, they aren't as forgiving as the breeds bred to be more biddable.

I would suggest taking a different approach with your training and also to give your young dog a better outlet for his energy. Does he like to chase stuff? If so, a flirt pole would provide a good outlet for him:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts