German Shepherds Forum banner

He's chewing off his softpaws

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Mandalay 
#1 ·
I took advice from another thread to put softpaws on Atlas to stop him from scratching up our hardwood floors. he left them alone for a few days and is chewing them off at night when we sleep.

Is there something bitter I can put on them that will keep him from chewing? It needs to be something that won't stain carpet or affect a hardwood floor.

#4 ·
BlackGSD, if they're like the ones for cats, they're glued on (otherwise they wouldn't STAY on!). You can't really take them on and off.

I'd just keep the nails dremeled as short as possible like Carla suggests.

#5 ·
Originally Posted By: Cassidys MomBlackGSD, if they're like the ones for cats, they're glued on (otherwise they wouldn't STAY on!). You can't really take them on and off.
OK. Gotcha!

Since that is the case, I agree, I would just keep his nails very short. I really can't blame him for chewing them off, if someone glued something on my nails, I would chew it off too.

#6 ·
Originally Posted By: BlackGSDI really can't blame him for chewing them off, if someone glued something on my nails, I would chew it off too.

#9 ·
I use them on my cats. Mandi's nails were short when I got her and so I have been trimming them every other weekend to keep them that way. Plus she HATES her feet being touched and so I use this as an opportunity to get her more used to me wiggling her toes around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.