German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We spent months going from shelter to shelter looking for an adult male GS. Finally one popped up on a local shelter's website so we hurried down to find a gorgeous 90 lb fella. He'd been neutered the day before so he was pretty mellow. He took to our other dog and she thought he was interesting, so we adopted him and named him Duke. That was Saturday. Tues he went for his vet checkup and when she looked in his mouth she announced he was MUCH younger than the 2 years old the shelter advertised. That's when the jumping on the couch and the bed and jumping around on his leash clicked - we have a 90 lb puppy. The thought that he may continue to grow is daunting. He's already had a run in with the door on the entertainment center. It's broken off but no teeth marks so I guess Baby Huey just got tangled up in it somehow during the night.
We are having normal puppy behavior. I am waiting for the carpet to dry now. He takes laundry and spreads it throughout the house, chews everything that isn't tied down, etc. Typical puppy stuff. We've had puppies before so it's not too much of a problem; more of an inconvenience. He is a sweet fella and we're already very attached; so he's not going back. My only real question is about how long before he decides he's part of our pack and joins the family as opposed to taking over the house? He's still in that 'laying on the floor observing us' stage. It's been 4 weeks and I still feel he's not one of the family yet. The photo I'm attaching has 12" tiles in it so you can gauge his size.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Very handsome boy! I'm sure it might take some time, depending on his personality. He probably spent the first 2 weeks just getting used to his new surroundings and decompressing from his previous situation. Have you had a chance to do many 1 on 1 fun outings with him yet? Once you do it will probably start to help a lot!

·
Registered
953 Posts
One word, CRATE. If he is young (and it's possible that he's not, just untrained), then he, you and your belongings will benefit from some structure and limits while he learns the Rules of The House. For example, I'd not allow any puppy/dog complete freedom in the house --- especially while I'm sleeping. He has to earn the privilege and that takes time and training. Crating will facilitate the process.

Which brings me to a final point, what are you doing to train that handsome bugger? How often? Short sessions daily are most effective, IME. You have to teach him what's acceptable behavior (in the house, outside, on a lead, around strange people/dogs, etc) and what's not. He's not going to magically become part of the family without some effort and that effort requires that everyone is on board.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts