German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Dutch by the vet today (I took that advice about going in every week just to socialize). They weighed him. Last Wednesday he was 11.7 lbs. This Wednesday he weighs almost 16 lbs. That seems like a lot of weight to gain in a week. Does that sound normal?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
lol! They grow so fast you can almost see it day to day sometimes! Im trying to fatten mine up, he just had a growth spurt and he's a bit bony right now. BTW, what an adorable puppy you have- he looks naughty in your avatar- like he's going to come in your house and eat your shoes!!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Yeah - That's about normal for me. Oh wait...You're talking about the puppy.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
Karlo gained an average of 3# every week, my vet is 5 minutes away so I weighed him every Tues. at lunchtime. He has been rawfed since weaning.
At 7 or 8 mos he tapered off on the gaining. He had two minimal bouts of Pano @ 10 and 13 mos.
He is now 90# at 19 mos and lean, I see and feel ribs. But he has a neck scruff that tells me it will fill in and his shoulders are pretty massive. I want him to maintain this weight!
Taken this weekend:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol! They grow so fast you can almost see it day to day sometimes! Im trying to fatten mine up, he just had a growth spurt and he's a bit bony right now. BTW, what an adorable puppy you have- he looks naughty in your avatar- like he's going to come in your house and eat your shoes!!
Oh he's trying to eat my shoes. Trust me.

Karlo gained an average of 3# every week, my vet is 5 minutes away so I weighed him every Tues. at lunchtime. He has been rawfed since weaning.
At 7 or 8 mos he tapered off on the gaining. He had two minimal bouts of Pano @ 10 and 13 mos.
He is now 90# at 19 mos and lean, I see and feel ribs. But he has a neck scruff that tells me it will fill in and his shoulders are pretty massive. I want him to maintain this weight!
Taken this weekend:

You have a gorgeous dog.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
are you sure you should fatten up your puppy? what are you
basing his weight gain on?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i took my pup to the Vet several times
a week for pets, treats and mock exams.
the Vet or a staff member would pet my pup,
lift his tail, open his mouth, etc. then i
would take him in the back and ride him up and down
on the exam table. there was a office cat there
that my puppy could get close to. toe nail training
started in puppy class. the dremel was introduced
in puppy class. everyday my pup had some contact with
the dremel.

i think one of us took our pup to the Vet a couple
of times a week untill he was 6 months or so. everytime
we took him to the Vet one of us would "want
to go to the Vet". on the ride to the Vet we repeated
it a couple of times "want to go to the Vet". it got
to the point we could go to the Vet off leash and our dog
would lay down wherever we told him and not be distracted
by the other pets in the office.

I took Dutch by the vet today (I took that advice about going in every week just to socialize). They weighed him. Last Wednesday he was 11.7 lbs. This Wednesday he weighs almost 16 lbs. That seems like a lot of weight to gain in a week. Does that sound normal?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Stark gained about 3lbs per week as well. He is 18 months old and is 80.6lbs. They tend to grow rapidly for the first 6-9 months then they slow down. Stark is just starting to fill out now at 18 months old.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts