German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
It sounds like a very dangerous situation for the dog- could have gone very wrong if the explosives were triggered when he was closer. Glad everyone was OK. Depending on what that video shows, it could be truly heartwrenching with kids involved- who had no choice, and must have been small enough to be dragged, carried.
It is very dangerous! LE and military dogs often work in dangerous situations in which they or others they work with can be in mortal danger. They train hard, but with an intensity necessary to be confident in life/death situations. These dogs are not pets, just like soldiers/police are not civilians. Though they have downtime like all of us, they are not pets.
I currently work ( security) with a TSA bomb dog daily, the handler constantly complains about the insensitivity of people who want to run up to his dog like she’s a pet. Folks don’t realize that when working in situations like LE/ military, that when on duty the dog cannot engage in unnecessary pleasantries. Vigilance by the dog and handler is necessary to ensure the safety of the dog, the soldiers/officers, and the mission. This differentiates these dogs from pet/sport dogs.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I just heard on NPR today that when they asked the name of the dog, the military declined to release it. They would only say that he has healed from his injuries, is "in the theater" again and working. He will be an anonymous hero!

( NPR has been very "doggy" today. I also listened to a report in which they say that having a dog lengthens your life by 21% or something! )

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just sharing this from a post I saw that I absolutely agree with. I know that most here are very knowledgeable and we’re a gsd forum but I just felt it was appropriate to share. Thank God for our working k9s and military dogs!

******PSA******

Do not go and purchase this breed just because of the news.
Do not go and purchase this breed if you have no prior experience, and aren't willing to seek a mentor, trainer, or go too clubs.
Do not go and purchase this breed "just because they're pretty and seem awesome".
Do not go and purchase this breed if you're just going too allow the canine to become obese.
Do not go and purchase this breed if you're not going to provide plenty of physical and mental stimuli.
Do not go out and purchase this breed just too ruin it.
Do not go out and purchase this breed too just dump it at a shelter or rescue for behavioural and/or other issues due to your lack of research.

This breed is not your average breed, should be respected, and isn't for the average individual or household.

#BreedAwareness #Share #RespectThisBreed #DontBeOneOfThosePeople #DontPurchaseFromBYBs #DontPurchaseFromCraigslist #DoYourResearch #AdoptAndShopResponsibly #WorkThem #DontPurchaseFromMostHobbyBreeders #TheyUsuallyDontHealthScreen #OrGeneticTest #OrHaveReturnClausesInTheirContracts #ResearchReputableBreeders #TheyCareAboutTheirStock #TheyGoAboveAndBeyond #TheyDontWaterTheBreedDown #TheyBreedWithinTheStandard #SeriouslyTheyWillDestroyYourHouseIfNotProvidedPlentyOfStimuli

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The Mali hero is named Conan and will be making an appearance at the White House soon. He leaves the Middle East next week and will then visit the White House.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
21 - 34 of 34 Posts