German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I was in an IGP Seminar when that news broke. It was special being with people who really care about working dogs while hearing about it. Glad the K9 is ok <3

·
Super Moderator
5,857 Posts
When/if the video is released we can all see it on a news site.Graphic videos aren't allowed.
I agree that the handlers and their dogs are true heroes.I'm so glad none of them were seriously injured.

·
Registered
371 Posts
It sounds like a very dangerous situation for the dog- could have gone very wrong if the explosives were triggered when he was closer. Glad everyone was OK. Depending on what that video shows, it could be truly heartwrenching with kids involved- who had no choice, and must have been small enough to be dragged, carried.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like a very dangerous situation for the dog- could have gone very wrong if the explosives were triggered when he was closer. Glad everyone was OK. Depending on what that video shows, it could be truly heartwrenching with kids involved- who had no choice, and must have been small enough to be dragged, carried.
Horribly dangerous. Thank God the dogs made it out OK.

What happened to the kids is beyond heartbreaking--Baghdadi dragged them with him and blew them up when he blew himself up.

·
Super Moderator
5,857 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hopefully this won't be considered political:

"Trump would not be the first commander in chief to be impressed by the heroic actions of a dog who helped military operatives capture a terrorist leader. A story by The New Yorker published a few months after the bin Laden raid described a fascinated President Barack Obama asking to meet Cairo [the Mali who helped nail bin Laden].

“There was a dog?” Obama said during a meeting on the bin Laden operation, when he learned that Cairo was nearby. The president, distracted from his briefing, said, “I want to meet that dog.”

“If you want to meet the dog, Mr. President,” the squadron commander joked, “I advise you to bring treats.”

In the end, Obama met Cairo, who stayed muzzled."

http://news.yahoo.com/trump-says-beautiful-talented-dog-120253942.html

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Yeah I would not want to see that video with kids involved my mind bypassed they it is awful. What a sick man to do such a thing.

Another mal they seem to dogs of choice to catch the terrorist. Such a beautiful dog. I saw a spoof photo on Instagram with the dog in the White House with a table full of hamburgers or something and his photo over the mantle. It was cute.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'm actually surprised that they released a photo purporting to be the K9 in question. Those K9s are already targets, as I understand it. Something like this would simply increase the jeopardy they've put the dog in. Unless, of course, it's been returned stateside already.

On a lighter note, I just heard a piece on CNN in which the military, after having released said photo, refused to give reporters any additional, possibly identifying, information --- including the dog's sex. Perhaps a different photo then?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On a lighter note, I just heard a piece on CNN in which the military, after having released said photo, refused to give reporters any additional, possibly identifying, information --- including the dog's sex. Perhaps a different photo then?
The pic looks like it was photoshopped so you can't tell the dog's sex.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, well, I'm always bemused when people aver that a picture's been photoshopped. Always wonder how they 'know' that.... ;)
That's been very well studied. Just google how can I tell if a picture is photoshopped. Also, this is the smart thing for the military to do to conceal the dog's sex.

·
Registered
935 Posts
That's been very well studied. Just google how can I tell if a picture is photoshopped. Also, this is the smart thing for the military to do to conceal the dog's sex.
Thanks but I have more entertaining things to do with my time. More to the point, whoever 'released' the photo might, in future, try for a qualitatively better job of photoshopping with a different photo. Certainly hope that they're not working in military (or other) intelligence. Standards you know....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts