·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What an amazing story!! I just had to share!! :D

·
Registered
772 Posts
I got reamed on another board for my interpretation of this video but, whatever.

What I see is a dog, trying to avoid the car, running to safety - home.

I am just not sure how a dog recognizes that the Police car is there to help his family.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I read your comment before I watched the video and thought, that's probably what it is. Then I watched the video and I'm not sure that this is a scared dog, trying to avoid a car.

I live in a very rural area where people often let their dogs run loose, so I encounter loose dogs in the road pretty frequently. I don't see the dog in the video moving like a frightened, erratic dog, trying to avoid a vehicle. Even the dogs I see here that are trying to run back to their homes act a lot different when they find themselves in front of a vehicle. They move erratically. They certainly wouldn't run in front of the vehicle, all the way back home - they'd go over the side of the snow bank to have the car pass.

That said, I also don't see how a dog would know it's a police car or whether the dog has the understanding that they are there to help his family. But I do see that this dog is not just trying to avoid the car and running to safety.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I edited out the word "scared". I hadn't watched the video in awhile and watched again after I posted, so I went back.
You were much nicer than others who didn't agree with me, :D

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I dont think the dog is scared of the car at all. He could have easily gotten off the road ran in the woodsy area instead of the road. He kept running to his house and then right as they are getting there he stops and looks at them. I think he was looking for help, he was trying to get someones attention, he knew something was wrong and he was trying to show them where they needed to go. I dont think he knew they were fire fighters, ambulances or police officers, he just knew they were people and something was wrong.

Haven't you ever had or heard a story about an animal alerting you or someone to something that is wrong? Like smoke in your house or a stranger outside your house or showing you where to find your kid or something?

Anyways............ that is one smart dog

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
At first I thought the same thing, but I think since the dog was quite far from home at the begining, he was looking for someone to lead back to help. He was only running so he'd be chased back to his home (like the way coyotes lure dogs back to their pack). If he were scared he would have darted to the woods.
There's another video where a dog "rescues" his friend that was hit on the highway... to me that looks like the dog was just "taking advantage" of the situation and happened to push his friend to the side of the road.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got reamed on another board for my interpretation of this video but, whatever.

I am just not sure how a dog recognizes that the Police car is there to help his family.
No reaming here. (Wait, let me ask so that I'm not making an assumption - did you want to get reamed? :p) While I'm not certain what the dog was thinking, I didn't see a scared dog. I know that our dogs recognize that cars bring people, so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility, or even likelihood, that an intelligent dog would try to lead a car (just happened to be a police cruiser this time) to its home if the family needed help. Did you notice that when the dog arrived in the driveway, it turned to look at the cruiser? Maybe it was looking to see that the coast was clear, or perhaps it wanted to be sure the car was still following. Either way, pretty cool that it worked out that way.

Sheesh, have you never seen Lassie? :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts