German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We found a lump on our 4.5 months old while bathing him two nights ago. The vet said it's hernia and that we can get it removed when we neuter him. I told her that I don't plan on neuter him until he is at least 1 and if there are no behavioral or health issue arise I may not want to neuter him at all. She agrees with that, didn't express any concern about him keeping this "lump" for another 6 months at least. She said we need to keep an eye on this lump and make sure it doesn't change. She didn't give us specific direction like no exercise or anything like that. So we walked out of the vet office with the plan to keep on doing exact same routine and keep an eye on that lump.

After the research I've done on my own, umbilical hernia is fairly common in dogs. So, I am not freaked out about it. Especially when our vet thinks its ok for him to keep it in his body for another 6 months. But is there anything at all I need to avoid? We are going camping this memorial day weekend and plan on going on a short hike and the lake. Can he still do that?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Nope! Many dogs go their entire lives without a single complication from their hernia. Lots of female dogs even get pregnant, whelp, and nurse with one. It very rarely explodes.

Enjoy your camping, hiking, and inevitable dunk in the lake with your boy! :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm not a vet, nor an expert, but I think he'll be fine and there isn't anything he needs to avoid. One of my friend's puppies has this as well, and he's been fine to be a normal puppy and run and play like usual. And he's been carrying on that way for a couple of months and it's been fine. I think you guys should be ok to go hiking and swimming. :)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
We have an IDENTICAL situation with our 4.5 month old!
Same plan and everything and we now have to watch it and if anything changes.... it's time. We were told to be careful and watch with an active dog, but also no instructions and the vet said they really can't tell what might make it become worse. He can pull/rip it more just stretching! or jumping over something, but at the same time he might not and it will be fine.

Sometimes they go away on their own after 6 month and a repaired if they don't. Z's hernia showed up at 3 month and he did not always have the bump, now he does. So just keep an eye on it, but unfortunately if it's not gone after 6 month it's best to repair. You don't want it to rip and have bile spill into it and cause infection or for actual intestine to sag into it and cause a fold inside the intestine. That can cause infections. We also wanted to neuter at 1.5 years, but in our case it is actually going to be healthier to get it done earlier and we are going to play it by year, day to day type of thing.

Hope this helps, your not alone.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Kiya had one, she was spayed around 20 months old and they took care of it then.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
The problem with hernias is they're not predictable. A hernia can be fine for years and then give way and its emergency surgery time which is very scary and expensive.

My sisters little yorkie mix had a hernia when she adopted him at 10 years old, it was fine for almost 2 years and then one day he was on the floor screaming with a large lump, $1200 surgery later he's fine, it was only healthy fat which came through thankfully and it was caught quickly and repaired. He's old and is pretty much a couch potato sleeping 22 of 24 hours so there was no physical thing that aggravated it; the stomach wall just gave way on that particular day.

If the vet has seen it then I agree that simply keeping an eye on it for now is ok, but any swelling or discomfort should be checked out ASAP.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My 7 year old dog has one and he is fine. It never got any bigger. Even my previous vet, who loved offering high costs procedures, didn't suggest repairing it.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
The biggest concern with small umbilical hernias is the fact that they do cause a weak point in the abdominal wall. In a situation where there was severe blunt force trauma - think large fall or hit by car, there is an increased chance of the hearnia ripping open and causing the need for surgical repair. Of course there MANY risks to being hit by a car or taking a large fall ;)

There is also the possibility that they will become larger as the pup grows, causing intestine to actually become trapped outside the abdominal wall.

Just keep an eye on it, make sure it doesn't get bigger. Berlin has an umbilical hernia, it has actually gotten smaller as he's grown (he's 20 weeks now). When he's 6 months old I will be having it surgically closed and having him pexied at the same time.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
The biggest concern with small umbilical hernias is the fact that they do cause a weak point in the abdominal wall. In a situation where there was severe blunt force trauma - think large fall or hit by car, there is an increased chance of the hearnia ripping open and causing the need for surgical repair. Of course there MANY risks to being hit by a car or taking a large fall ;)

There is also the possibility that they will become larger as the pup grows, causing intestine to actually become trapped outside the abdominal wall.

Just keep an eye on it, make sure it doesn't get bigger. Berlin has an umbilical hernia, it has actually gotten smaller as he's grown (he's 20 weeks now). When he's 6 months old I will be having it surgically closed and having him pexied at the same time.
Is 6 month too early to pexy because they are still growing? My vet mentioned doing it close to a year!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Is 6 month too early to pexy because they are still growing? My vet mentioned doing it close to a year!
That's what time my board certified surgeon recommended. We are doing it laparoscopically so it's way less invasive. At the same time we are closing his umbilical hernia and doing his pennhip

1 - 11 of 11 Posts