German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time for a new prong collar. Yesterday, trainer suggested I move to a smaller prong collar for my larger male as I wasn't getting a good enough correction out of his current. I'm also able to effectively use a prong on my pup now without hurt feelings (she was crazy sensitive to it earlier). So, rather than a cheapy, I'm going to get herm sprengers... noticed their neck-tech thing which has a more pleasant appearance, and looks like it might be sturdier. Also, it is self described as a major step forward in prong design...

Also, my HS fur savers have taken years of swimming in salt water in stride with out so much as a single pit mark, much less visibile rust... so I have confidence in the brand.

For those unfamiliar, here is a picture (the individual vendor plugs are not intended or endorsed by me :)... hard to find pics without )

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I use the large prong HS collar and fur savers and they're both great. I was thinking of trying this kind but Stosh is long-coated so I'm not sure if it will be effective.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use the large prong HS collar and fur savers and they're both great. I was thinking of trying this kind but Stosh is long-coated so I'm not sure if it will be effective.
Several people told me the smaller prongs actually work better for long/thick coat. My male has a dense dense undercoat and I was told to put the bigger prong on my female, and the smaller one she wears on him (not enough links though, so here we are).

Of course THEY say the necktech works great on long & short alike.

I really like the hidden ones so I don't have to have people giving me crap b/c I train with a training collar. It gets so old explaining to people that prong collars aren't abuse (in the correct hands), and that schutzhund training won't turn my sweet pups into child eating devil dogs

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Well that's good to know, I'll get one then. The long prongs get so tangled up in his fur that it's sometimes difficult to get the collar off. This one would solve that problem.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that's good to know, I'll get one then. The long prongs get so tangled up in his fur that it's sometimes difficult to get the collar off. This one would solve that problem.
I pull hair out frequently on accident right now. Plus the crap prong collars rust the first time they get wet, where the wear is

·
5,627 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm... so if my female doesn't require a hard correction, I wonder if I could get away with the buckle one. It looks pretty discrete and clean. Plus, she is so quick and wiry I wanna minimize the chance of caught/twisted fingers should her neck get close to a hand when she's doing her thing

·
2,967 Posts
I personally don't love the Neck-tech prongs. I've seen them used well with the shorter coated dogs- dobermans, mals, close coated shepherds...but because there is no place for for the hair to go it does tend to keep the prongs off the neck. The prongs on this are not as long as the prongs on a regular medium prong collar. I also found it difficult to adjust links.

It is true that there is more pinch per inch in a smaller prong. Although right now, if you go to herm Sprenger actual website and check their current product catalog you can see that they've done a redesign on the prong collars. Now there is a plate in the middle and the prongs are 2-directional. My understanding is that this stops the collar from rotating and can create a better correction as well. Kind of like this one... Herm Sprenger Stainless Steel with Buckle available in 2.25mm and 3.25mm

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
What is the deal with the buckle? I need to order a HS for Jake this week and I am lost what to get....
Sorry for the hijack..;)

·
5,627 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I just dug out a cheapie prong I have but it's a 2.25....I am going to try it to see if it's more effective then the 3.0 before I order a HS. How does everyone use theirs? Live ring? Dead ring? or both?

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Live ring

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Now there is a plate in the middle and the prongs are 2-directional. My understanding is that this stops the collar from rotating and can create a better correction as well. Kind of like this one... Herm Sprenger Stainless Steel with Buckle available in 2.25mm and 3.25mm
oooooo I really like that. I get so annoyed with the collar rotates. And thats how it tangles in my LC, it slides and I have to fix it and then its all tangled and she yelps :(

As for rings, I use both the live ring and dead ring depending on what I'm doing. I use the dead ring more often with the things I do, especially because Emma is really sensitive to collar corrections and Tessa's "been there done that" in the things we do. Just obedience for me, no schutzhund drivey stuff.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
JK ** sorry to hijack, the HS you posted, have you tried it?? I am really liking it, and think I will give it a shot.. especially with it being rust proof.

I use the smaller prongs on Masi for training and the darn thing is always 'slipping' ,

The one posted "above",,looks cheaper made than the one JK posted?? my imagination??

·
2,967 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
mmmmmm I could go a little crazy trying some of those new ones;))

And yeah I want a live ring to...if you find a vendor , pm me:))

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I asked a friend who can get HS stuff directly

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I mention this in the other prong collar thread but I just wanted to mention it here too. I don't use prongs anymore but the trainer I used to use told us that they recommend the small 2.25 size prongs for all dogs, and it works best unless the dog has an incredibly thick coat or is a giant breed and then they use the medium.

As far as the Neck Tech, I never used it, I don't know if it existed when I used to use prong collars. However it looks like it could possibly pull the fur out? It looks to be 'jointed' with each prong being in a separate section with a joint between them, and I would think those joints could trap and pull the fur?

·
Registered
65 Posts
collars

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I use a stainless steel HS, usually on dead ring, most of the time. Last year I did purchase the collar with the snap closure, as in the first picture. I alternate using them, depending on what I am doing. Less correction with the item in the first pic, so if I am out where I need more correction (squirrels along the walking trail) I will use the regular HS prong collar.
I have an 85 lb GSD, not real thick fur, and I think if you had a dog with really thick coat it might not work very good. It does not tangle or pull fur out though, and I like how fast it goes on. People also do not realize that it is a prong, but often ask where I got the pretty collar.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hey hunter, I have been using this collar for 5 months or so, it is good looking but if I were to do it again, I would get the martingale buckle. I have just the plain buckle and it works but not as good as the martingale. I do like the way it stays in place better and you can go places and not get dirty looks because it does not look like a prong.

If your dog has already been trained on a prong then you will have no problem with the collar but like I said, if the dog needs a strong correction the martingale will be better.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts