German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I lost my Sasha Dog I had every intentions of buying a pup. I didn’t want to inherit someone else’s mistakes and issues...but I struggled with paying thousands of dollars for a dog when there were so many who needed homes.

We bought our first Shepherd not knowing anything about them and it being my first dog. I ended up with a hard headed working dog! Fast forward 14 years, while she drove me nuts I am better mom because I had her! Rehoming was suggested to us but never an option. We worked with two trainers and it worked out although Sasha still had her quirks and stubbornness until the very end.

I knew what I wanted this time in temperament and wanted a dog to do agility with. I was interviewing breeders but not planning on getting a pup until after my 8 year olds football season bc I was too busy.

This summer I met a lady at a winery with 3 GSD rescues. It was shortly after I lost sasha so I was tearing up. We talked and I mentioned my plans and my hesitation of rescuing. She said to me “ I just can’t buy a dog when I know there are so many out there”. She wasn’t condescending about it just sharing her opinion. I said but I am worried that they might have health issues and all that. She replied “ Even if you only have them for 6 years, it will be the best 6 years of their lives.” I have no idea who she is and I will probably never see her again but she made a difference.

Now to the good part!! Please help me welcome Hailey to The Kounz family! She is a 4 year old stray from Josephine County, Oregon. She does have potential arthritis or it may manifest but I swear that endeared her more to me. I thought “ I still have the joint supplements from Sasha and the big barker bed. Sasha was diagnosed at 3 with this and with good food and supplements lived very actively for years. I think she belongs with us”

It took my husband a week to go from he wasn’t ready to let go meet her. She came home with us the next day! I just had to share! I will try to post more updates although this group doesn’t look as active as it used to be!

Amanda, formerly SashaPup

Attachments

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Congratulations, and that's for rescuing her!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
How about showing us a broadside picture of Hailey? We love pictures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will do my best on pictures. We are still in the trying to be mellow decompression phase which is hard with an 8 year old boy who is so excited to have a dog to play and snuggle with.

We will not be doing agility with her bc she is showing signs of stiff joints. Her hips were palpatated when she was under to be spayed. There was no obvious signs of displasia. She had a slight limp in her right rear that got worse as the day went on or after she was laying down for a long time.

At this point we have no idea what she was fed previously. She was found as a stray and later they found that her owner was in jail. We think she has had one litter. She need me to lose at least 10 Lbs, but I am thinking maybe 15. She is 89 lbs now.We are transitioning her slowly from Science Diet to Taste of the Wild. I am giving her 4 cups a day to start. The shelter started her on a joint supplement. They gave us a bag of theirs but most likely I will switch her to the one we gave Sasha for 11 years. Never needed meds until the last year.

I am brand new to rescuing and I didn’t even know anything about decompressing from the shelter. The shelter sent us home with a really helpful book

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are the best I could do at the moment lol. She is starting to sit.

Attachments

·
Registered
992 Posts
Touching story with a beautiful result. Congratulations, Hailey looks so happy...and so does your son.

Aly

·
Registered
513 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the forums! She looks so happy to be a part of your family!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts