German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For several weeks now, probably even longer than that, I have noticed Miikka trying to “herd” my other dog when I call the dogs into the house. She will also herd my daycare dog. Neither dog seems to mind she is doing it but I’m wondering whether or not I should continue to allow her to do it. My other dog is a cocker spaniel and my daycare dog is a GSD.

It’s always the same routine; she’ll get Regen (daycare dog) into the house first and then go after Buddy. Buddy, always takes his own sweet time about things and recall (when I call them in) is no exception – he is poky about everything. Miikka never bites the other dogs she just sorta runs along side them and directs them in through the door. So my question is whether it is OK for her to do this. Like I said, the other dogs don’t seem to mind.

I was also wondering if there was such a thing as herding classes. Or, is herding part of schutzhund? I really do not want or need Miikka to be a herding dog but she seems to have a natural instinct for it. Maybe she would enjoy going someplace to work on it, once a week or something.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
No, herding is not part of Sch and yes, there are separate classes for herding.You can have your dog herd sheep (most common) or ducks or other herd animals as well.

There is even a Herding Instinct test that you can have your dog take to see how much herding built in them!

No training is needed for this one and any experienced herding instructor can tell you all about it.

We took our then 2 yo male GSD for it and were amazed by how much he loved it and by the instructor telling us what an amazing amount of natural drive our dog had and how well he did!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, herding is not part of Sch and yes, there are separate classes for herding.You can have your dog herd sheep (most common) or ducks or other herd animals as well.

There is even a Herding Instinct test that you can have your dog take to see how much herding built in them!

No training is needed for this one and any experienced herding instructor can tell you all about it.

We took our then 2 yo male GSD for it and were amazed by how much he loved it and by the instructor telling us what an amazing amount of natural drive our dog had and how well he did!
Thanks codmaster! I'll google it and see if there are any herding instructors in Albuquerque.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I took my Rotty to a herding class. I gotta warn ya, it's quite an experience for you both. To watch their natural instincts come out in a controlled way is almost spiritual. It's a good mental and physical workout and leaves them totally zonked, us as well!

I'm going to take Kelly soon. It's a lot fun.

:dancingtree:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I just found a herding trainer in my area and I'm going to take Stosh to her and give him a go at it. Like Mikka, he's always shown a natural ability and desire to herd anything he can- us, the dogs at class, frisbees, you name it. I'll let you know how he does.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I agree with Kelly, and not only that, but those sheep like to plow you over:)

·
Registered
224 Posts
They gave us a long pole to keep them from biting the sheep. They did however allow for a bit of "flossing" as they called it, to help them build confidence. Later, they push them back, barking is allowed, but no biting. After awhile the dogs learn to move them with occasional yaps but mostly intimidating them with their presence.

The sheep however plod all over you trying to get away from the dog.. LOL

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately, I’m not finding any herding instructors in Albuquerque. For that matter, there does not seem to be any in the entire state of New Mexico. There are several in Arizona and several in Texas and Colorado too, but none in New Mexico. That’s rotten! :mad:

Also, I’m not clear as to whether or not I should continue to allow Miikka to herd the other dogs in the house. Yes or no?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Unfortunately, I’m not finding any herding instructors in Albuquerque. For that matter, there does not seem to be any in the entire state of New Mexico.
Here you go:
Untitled Document

They are in New Mexico, and work with loose-eyed, upright herding breeds like the GSD.

Herding is so much fun. But I warn you that it is very, very addictive.
Sheilah

·
Registered
396 Posts
I do collie rescue also, and we had a rescue reunion two weeks ago ... they had a herding instinct evaluator/tester .. it was awesome to see the collies natural instinct kick in, most of whom had never seen a sheep before.

Do you have a german shepherd club, if not a herding club? They might be able to get some sort of demonstration ...

As for letting the dog herd other dogs... my aussie does not like to be herded by other dogs, because he is a herding dog himself and has an alpha dog personality. My german shepherd DID let herself be herded by the aussie, tho .. and it was useful to tell the aussie to go get the shepherd when she was a pup and bring her around. If they were in a neighbor's yard playing, I could tell the aussie to go get the shepherd pup. Do the other dogs mind being herded? Dogs with alpha personalities are most likely going to protest being 'pushed around' by another herding dog, I've found just from my experience. More submissive dogs will allow themselves to be 'led' or 'herded', so you can let your dog herd them. Am I rambling too much? ;)

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Both places are a good drive away though... she would have to get over her hate of car rides!
Yeah, I know...I was hoping I could find someplace we could walk too:rolleyes2: :whistle:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I talked with the herding trainer and she's going to 'evaluate' Stosh Monday morning by giving him a go with some sheep! I do have to sign a waiver agreeing to pay for any sheep he might try to eat. In the meantime she told me to brush up on his 'down'. I'm really looking forward to it, hope he likes it. You'll just have to make a trip here and try it out if you can't find anyone in Albeqq

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
check out the aussie club of america site as well, Aussies are big into herding so something may be listed there

1 - 14 of 14 Posts