German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a place that teaches the tending style of herding? I have found a few, but they lean more towards Border Collies and that style.

I would like to expose my pup to sheep first. But would like to know if its something that is available in my area.

I can only find one guy, in NJ.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
That's it....Geary Loff at the HGH club in NJ....phgsd on this board trains with him....we co-own a female in training right now....the only other place is in the fingerlakes region of NY....that is Ulf Kinzell....

these are the only two herding clubs for tending style for GSDs in the US

Lee

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I found and googled him. Over 4.5 hours away and requires at least a 2x a month commitment.

I may be better able to find someone that does a C test, AKC.

Thanks Lee!!!

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
may be better able to find someone that does a C test, AKC. <--Nope

There are only two people in my area (Western PA) that teach herding. They both teach A/B course, they both own German Shepherd Dogs, so are familiar with their herding style...but they do not teach C course.

Both trainers are an hour and a half away from me.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Wish Julie had been back from Korea when I was living there :( We were driving six hours round trip to herd

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. I contacted Julie and she emailed my right back. Seems great. Gonna schedule my boy fur sometime next week hopefully to test him on sheep. Looking forward to it.

Cannot believe how hard it is to find someone who does tending style within a 4 hr drive. I don't mind driving, but 4 hours each way on a weekly basis is too much even for me.

I also found a woman who teaches the " large flock" test for the AHBA. Dies anyone understand the difference? I don't think that it is tending style.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I'm sure Geary would be willing to work with you if you could commit to even once a month. It is 110% worth it, real tending is a dying art and is such an important part of our breed's heritage!

Our club site is in my sig - his other site is more of his "personal" site, to showcase his dogs.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I also found a woman who teaches the " large flock" test for the AHBA. Dies anyone understand the difference? I don't think that it is tending style.

Thanks again!!
I believe the RLF (AHBA large flock trial) is considered French Style. Here is an article that explains the differences and similarities: The Way Herding Dogs Work (it is towards the bottom, but the whole article is good).

I loved doing the RLF courses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts