German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
This past weekend I took Steel out to finish his AKC HIT (Title/Certificate) for fun. I got there at 7am and watched some dogs do their thing. It was a lot more relaxed than the types of trials I've been to previously. We finally got our turn around 1 PM. Steel had seen sheep one other time and he blew me away then.

Saturday, Steel unleashed what I friend called Mr. Hyde - lots of barking, diving in at the stock and circling - the complete opposite of what he was the first time around (calm, collected, circling with interest but no vocalisation - Dr. Jeckyll :grin2:).
The judge said it was good, he's just "a lot of dog" and that we should train in herding - recommending our local trainer to us. After talking with his breeder, I've reached out to our local herding trainer this morning and am waiting for a reply. She comes to my area on Mondays which I currently have free. It's definitely not priority number 1 for us, as we're already training for IGP and plan on taking our BH at the end of this month, but I thought it would be a fun sport to try and learn what I can.

Pic of the creature with his ribbons

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I find it very exciting to watch their natural traits expressed and developed. I like when a dog has nicely focused prey drive. Good luck in your endeavors.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Congrats on your smart boy!!! Herding can be so much fun for a savvy, obedient dog.

My GSD rescue, Heidi, decided when I first got her that herding my horses was the job she picked for herself. She
quickly learned where they were supposed to be at certain times of the day and she would go out and bring them in
at mealtime without any prodding from me.

Heidi also picked up which horse belonged in which stall, and went to work barking at them if they were in the wrong stall.
She has decided she's the herd boss here, and she's really good at it.

Once her recall was well established I stopped worrying about her passion.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Congrats on your smart boy!!! Herding can be so much fun for a savvy, obedient dog.

My GSD rescue, Heidi, decided when I first got her that herding my horses was the job she picked for herself. She
quickly learned where they were supposed to be at certain times of the day and she would go out and bring them in

Heidi also picked up which horse belonged in which stall, and went to work barking at them if they were in the wrong stall.

Good to hear that your horses must be okay with it. Most people don't try herding horses with dogs or let the dogs pester them as the dogs are liable to get kicked and killed by them instead of the horses allowing them to herd them.

Congrats on the test Katsu. I'm personally a fan of encouraging herding traits in shepherds so rooting for you to get into it!

·
Registered
4,953 Posts

A dog that can work horses is worth it's weight in gold, because it's an art. It's good that your horses are cool with it and great that Heidi has a job. But don't let her near other horses! Barking is a huge no-no with horse dogs and likely to get a dog stomped.
Might be fun for you guys to try herding, with sheep.
@Katsugsd-big congrats! I am sort of in the camp that all GSD's should have to prove at least some herding instinct. Not a popular opinion I am aware.
Steel is a handsome boy!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Congratulations! That is fantastic.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Congratulations! I love seeing GSDs herding, I think it’s kind of sad in a way that “shepherds” are more often judged by their ability to compete in protection work sports. Theres a herding club not too far from me that I emailed the day before asking about lessons, haven’t heard back yet but am hopeful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts