German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trainer recommended that I take Texas to try out for a herding instinct test. She notices that she likes to chase the other dogs and people around, so she thinks, if she does well, we could use herding as an outlet for her energy.

I checked AKC for any herding events. There are only two available left for the entire year (one in March and the other in April, both are in the Houston area). The closing date is March 9th for both and it is about a 6 1/2 hour drive from where I live.

Here are my questions::)

1.) How old should she be to enter? What would you recommend? She is currently 8 months old.

2.) Can she acquire Brucella on the field? I heard that dogs get this from livestock feces, and now I am questioning of even having her around a farm.

3.) Would the drive be bad on her (6 1/2 hour drive), since she suffers from car sickness still? Would this affect her on the field? She does not throw up anymore, but she still salivates in the car.

4.) What were your experiences doing the herding instinct test?

Thank you again. :)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
My pup is 8 months and we will be doing the herding instinct in May. Have you contacted any local GSD training clubs? Mine is a Schutzhund Club but we are holding the herding testing.

AHBA

This is a list of all upcoming herding tests for both the US and Canada.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Well, I had Stosh evaluated in Nov--luckily for me the trainer is only 20 mins away. The things she looked for was if he even focused on the sheep, if he was afraid of them, barked, lunged or wanted to chase them. Chasing and herding are two very different things. He did well enough that we've started training but even at 13 mos he's considered pretty young. He's awfully immature in a lot of ways so if your girl is mature, that's a big help. Your dog will have to be able to down on command at a distance if you decide to get into herding. The dog needs to hear your voice and respond while keeping their eye on the sheep. All we've done so far is move the sheep around the edge of a pen and when the dog gets too close or moves too fast, I have to down him and let him just watch the sheep. It's such a blast and he's only working 30-40 mins, that's all he can take. It wears him out in that short amount of time.

You can have your dog vaccinated, most in this area of TX already are. I have Stosh on Interceptor because it's the only heartworm preventative that covers whip worms. One of the trainer's dogs picked them up at a trial and she's afraid they're in the soil, so you might want to switch to that if you're using Heartguard. Herding is a whole lot of fun but it's really something the dog either has the interest and ability to do or doesn't. It's not like obedience where practice makes perfect. It's definitely worth having the evaluation but don't be surprised or disappointed if it doesn't go well. If it does go well, it's a sport that's easy to get hooked on. Best of luck!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I'm not sure of the age for the test, may be different with different groups. Just contact the people giving the test or read the signup sheets, it's usually mentioned.

The test I've had my girls take was them running around and chasing the sheep..... but there are also tests specifially for GSD 'boundary' type herding. First videos are the running with the sheep type I've done:

Right around 6 min on the following video is my friend Marisa taking the boundary herding instinct test (tending?).

As HANDLERS I went in with ZERO experience and still had my dog pass. It's really based on their instinct and the people giving the test help/comment/suggest what we need to do (or not do).

Truly, I just paid my money, showed up and my dogs not only had a blast but they PASSED!

Another interesting video for tending

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that sure looks like a lot of fun! :wild: I spoke with my trainer, yesterday, and asked her if I should really take Texas, and she said "Why not? I bet she will do well."

I really want to do this, the only thing is that gas prices are sky rocketing again (it will be a 6 1/2 hour drive), and no one wants to go with me on the trip, unless we make time to go sight seeing or something (I am thinking about looking into pet boarding or hotels). Though, it is coming up pretty steep price wise. :( Also, I will be traveling and staying at hotels a lot this coming April and May (I will be presenting scholarly research at conferences). I make peanuts, so I don't know if I should wait a bit. :(

I am planning on emailing the clubs tonight and ask a few more questions. The clubs I chose are in Hempstead, Tx. All the others are even more of a drive from where I live (8 to 9 hours) *sigh*. I did see there were a few pending tests, so I will ask them when I would be able to know if they were approved.

Maybe, I can reschedule the test after my conference heavy months and have graduated from grad school. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
508 Posts
...Herding is a whole lot of fun but it's really something the dog either has the interest and ability to do or doesn't. It's not like obedience where practice makes perfect. It's definitely worth having the evaluation but don't be surprised or disappointed if it doesn't go well. If it does go well, it's a sport that's easy to get hooked on. Best of luck!
That's my feeling on it. I've had border collies most of my life. Even amongst that breed, there are some who are terrific with livestock and some who aren't so hot. They can become better with training, but I dont' think they have the higher level of achievement that the ones who come by it naturally do.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I have the same questions so I'll keep an eye on this thread! :)
Our closest test is in May and 4 hours away.
If your talking about the one May 23rd put on by the Belgium club then Stark and I will be there. :) Along with a few dogs from Stark's breeder.

·
Registered
705 Posts
4.) What were your experiences doing the herding instinct test?
:)
I did the HIT thru a women on the border of IL and WI, Shannon Wolfe. She has a website that explains what she does for the cert. Her age requirement was 6 mos. Minka was 6 mos and 3 days. Shannon had the owner clip a horse lead on the collar and hand the dog over to her without talking to your dog. She would then take the dog into the round one with 3 dog broke sheep and encourage the dog to interact with the sheep. She would run some interference but mainly was there to encourage and assess the natural instinct. In many cases, the dogs/pups did not want to interact because the owner was not in the pen. In those cases, she had the owner go in and interact with the sheep not the dog. Sometimes this was enough to get the dog going on the sheep and sometimes not, in which case the dog would not pass the test to certification.

Minka loved it and I was some what surprised because she went into the pen and never looked back for me. She passed. The results of her HIC can be found behind my signature, in the comment section of the GSD pedigree database, which is what the sig is linked too. It will give you an idea of what they look for

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much for all the information; I greatly appreciate it. ;)

I emailed the Houston Herding Association and was redirected to speak with another individual with respects to the herding instinct test. It seems as if the club is only offering trial tests and pre trial tests. I plan on emailing this lady later tonight to request more information about her requirements and what procedures I need to take. Also, maybe, after I attain and process all of the information, I can arrange a future date to take the test. I am also quite worried that what if she goes into heat during the test. :headbang: *sigh* I am now considering of waiting till after or do you think it might be ok?

Either way, I will keep everyone updated. Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Minka loved it and I was some what surprised because she went into the pen and never looked back for me. She passed. The results of her HIC can be found behind my signature, in the comment section of the GSD pedigree database, which is what the sig is linked too. It will give you an idea of what they look for
She is gorgeous! Good to hear she loved it. :thumbup: Its awesome when a dog finds a sport they enjoy.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I did the HIT thru a women on the border of IL and WI, Shannon Wolfe. She has a website that explains what she does for the cert.
Bianca and I did the HIT with Shannon Wolfe too!
Bianca did really well and loved it. Shannon said she'd love to see us in herding classes, but unfortunately we haven't been able to take any because of the distance, but I'd love to in the future. It was really interesting to see her go from completely ignoring the sheep before the test, to showing a lot of interest in the pen and after the test was over.

These are Bianca's results:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/braggs/120873-biancas-herding-test-plus-photos.html

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
also check out the ASCA (australian shepherd club of America) site, they hold alot of HIT's and it's not just for aussies:)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Down here in Florida the Treasure Coast German Shepherd Dog Club is going herding (just for fun) on March 27th - Kai will be 11 mos old - I'm just worried that he's going to eat the sheep! - He's very good with the neighborhood critters outside (he's been taught to not lunge after them) - - However, he has just started going through what I call a "butt head" stage with some other dogs that we've been working on at obedience.

·
Registered
705 Posts
She is gorgeous! Good to hear she loved it. :thumbup: Its awesome when a dog finds a sport they enjoy.
Thanks for the gorgeous compliment . . . I'm such a sucker when people compliment my little girl :)

Bianca and I did the HIT with Shannon Wolfe too! Bianca did really well and loved it. Shannon said she'd love to see us in herding classes, but unfortunately we haven't been able to take any because of the distance, but I'd love to in the future. It was really interesting to see her go from completely ignoring the sheep before the test, to showing a lot of interest in the pen and after the test was over.

These are Bianca's results:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/braggs/120873-biancas-herding-test-plus-photos.html
Cool! I liked Shannon. She commented "very nice dog" on Minka's HIC. Bianca's results were almost the same as Minka's! Only difference was Minka didn't bark. Funny how Bianca bounced because Minka was certainly doing the puppy bounce and also would jump a muddy section like she didn't want to get her paws dirty! Shannon was laughing and calling her prissy. Even the spectators started laughing. Here is a link to Minka's HIC.

YouTube - Minka's HIC

FUN! Thanks for sharing!

Oh and ignore the other upside down clips on my YouTube channel. I'm still trying to figure out how to get some video of my husbands phone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts