German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I believe there was a club up in the northwest corner, Cornwall area, but I'm not sure if they're still around...

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
not sure if Susan Sullivan who has gsd's still teaches herding, she is in Canterbury but they used to train somewhere else..

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
not sure if Susan Sullivan who has gsd's still teaches herding, she is in Canterbury but they used to train somewhere else..
I just contacted her the other day about taking Piper to her. I thought she was in MA? Didn't double check because Piper can't go until she's 18 months but I'm pretty sure our breeder said she's somewhere near Brookfield MA. (maybe that's where she trains?)

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I believe that is where she trains..I have been to Meadowbrook Farm, she 'used' to have gsd's but now has aussie/border collies..not a bad trainer, very tough tho, and it wasn't a good experience for my aussie who is a marshmellow but loves to herd.

I know Tenley Dexter is a fabulous trainer, but not sure if she does it anymore?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I believe that is where she trains..I have been to Meadowbrook Farm, she 'used' to have gsd's but now has aussie/border collies..not a bad trainer, very tough tho, and it wasn't a good experience for my aussie who is a marshmellow but loves to herd.
I took Piper to Diane Menard at Black Birch Farm in Sturbridge when she was really young just to see how she would react to the sheep. She was nice enough but I wanted to try tending. I hope SS isn't too tough, I'm kind of a marshmallow too!!;)

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
no I think Susan is very fair,,the one I felt was 'tough' was meadowbrook here in bozrah ct..

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the recommendations. We are on "the list" for a Sequoyah puppy which we hope to have June 2014. Such a long wait....Anyway, I would like to try several different activities with the dog to see what he/she excels at. Herding will be a good energy draining activity for the dog. We have no intentions of doing anything competitive with it...this will be just for fun.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I am thinking of giving herding a try too. Am in Ct....will try some of the names listed here. I could also go into NY or Ma....Any recommendations?

Curious if this would be a good sport for a reactive dog?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Stella will be giving herding a try this weekend. We are going to an intro day with Tenley Dexter. Should be very interesting.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Tenley Dexter is GREAT!!! have fun!!

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
eddie, check the asca website, they do alot of herding stuff and most times it's open to spectators/other breeds besides aussies.
(australian shepherd club of america)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Stella and I attended our first Herding seminar today with Tenley Dexter. I was expecting a disaster but Stella really surprised me. When she was introduced to the sheep, she did not try to eat them....lol. And her reactivity to all the other dogs around was under control too. It was a fun day and very informative.

One thing I learned was that GSDs "tend" sheep as opposed to what the Border Collies and Aussies do. So Tenley recommended I work with a trainer that specializes in GSD tending style. Her suggestion was Carol at Meadowbrook in Bozrah.

Any suggestions? Input?

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I"ve been to Carol, I'll pm you:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts