German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any breeders in Germany that have specific lines they use for herding?
Do they use German Shepherds for herding anymore? Or is that part which the dog was bred to do, totally bred out of German Shepherd gone?
Kirschental is gone, and it looks like there are only two camps now. The conformation GSD, and the GSD for Sport.
Just wondered.
Dawn

·
Registered
67 Posts
My czech girl did herding for awhile. We tried tending but only had a small flock. We mostly used goats for chore work/trial prep. There is really not a lot of large flock farmers anymore for the need of the GSD in Canada and USA. So not many opportunities for us on this side of the world.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My czech girl did herding for awhile. We tried tending but only had a small flock. We mostly used goats for chore work/trial prep. There is really not a lot of large flock farmers anymore for the need of the GSD in Canada and USA. So not many opportunities for us on this side of the world.
have you come across this thread already? Where to find breeders of GSDs that can work as sheep herders/livestock protectors? It’s a couple years old but there are some names, links and kennels mentioned that may be of interest to you.
I looked, but could not find anything.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
In Germany you could possibly research vom herbsttal. I would also look and see who participated in the last big herding event in September (and the name escapes me - but the big event in September in Germany.

also there were some breeders using Maly vom Kirschental recently and doing some herding. The Roehners have Timon vom kirschental (or last I checked) and May have some insight.

In the US - maybe pm WI Backpacker. She has been to the last few herding nationals. I have stopped trialing and got my dog her own goats to work. She is from one of the last kirschental litters.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I could be wrong, but don't some of the vom Weinbergblick lines have a good bit of herding blood in them from Uran/Uwe vom Kirschental------>Fenga vom Kirschental ?

·
Registered
985 Posts
The true German herding lines were lost around the same time the split between the working and show lines became prominent. The shepherds were poor and the SV convinced them to breed their breeding stock to the show lines because they could get more money for pups. Now the herding lines are essentially show line dogs with herding titles and the titles are pretty meaningless because they diluted the requirements to accommodate the show lines.

·
Registered
30,956 Posts
There is ONE herding club in the U.S., run by a German. Ulf breeds and maintains lines to actively work his sheep.

If anyone would know what lines still have the ability, it would be him.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I don't think he breeds very much, probably only to keep his lines going and to supply prospects for people who come to him to learn about herding.

·
Super Moderator
2,430 Posts
OP, if you're interested in some of the lines being used in the US, you can PM me. I have marked catalogs from the last two years of the herding national here in the states.

Mspiker's girl is very talented, I'd PM her w/questions about similar lines if you're interested.

Results from last year's American HGH trial are in the photos here: Sheep Herding German Shepherd Dogs Training .

·
Registered
42 Posts
In Germany there are several kennels that are actively breeding for working herding shepherds, here are a few I can think of

Herbert Kind -von der Kind

Gerd Jahnke -Glockenberfsschaferei

Peter Bruckner -Hexengrund

Thomas Bruder -Herbsttal

Andreas Smietana -Messlehof

Manfred Voigt -Dolderbrunnen

Julian Schulz -Lila Schäferhaus

·
Premium Member
11,154 Posts
Wilfred Sheld was the head HGH judge in Germany, and came to the US for several koers every year. I had the opportunity to show and koer dogs under him several times from 2002 to 2010...the last time I saw him, at the Buffalo Schutzhund Club, he gave a little seminar on breeding and herding.
A few things that were highlights of his talk: the showdogs do not have the drive to work sheep for a living, real sheep operations use crosses or working lines....the more high profile herding kennels in Germany had show dogs who they titled, but still had dogs, often unregistered, who actually did the day to day chores...he himself was a shepherd and his flock numbered 2000 sheep....he had a presentation with many photos of herding dogs, and pointed out the most recent HGH champion, and told the group that this dog was very very like my female....and when going over my older female for the koer, called her a "genetic treasure" - we went over pedigrees after the koer, and decided on a male for her next litter....I sent one pup to someone to herd with and was so very very sad that I was not able to show my Kira, HGH, to him for a koer as he passed away. Kira's pups have proved to be very talented in various sports and activities.

Lee

1 - 15 of 15 Posts