German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had an interest in herding for a number of years now. I have attended several seminars, clinics and taken lessons.
Myself and a group are ready to take the plunge and are interested in forming an AKC Herding club.
Bouviers, GSDs, Rotts and of course the BC's.

Question 1.- Does anyone have suggestions about hosting A, B and C course style training?
Are you able to user the same sheep or do they get too squirrelly for C course type work?
We will likely be getting Katahdin and hopefully some St. Croix.

Question 2. Are there any instructors skilled and open to teaching both styles? Recommendations? Most of the people I have trained with are not (I don't think) open to coming to our place to train.I know that there are several C course people who do seminars, but not sure yet if they would work with the BC people as well.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
When I trained in San Diego, they used the same flock for Course A/B (and AHBA equivalent) as they did for their RLF courses/trials.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Talk to the people at Raspberry Ridge Farm about the sheep. They host A and C course trials for sure (not sure about B) as I have been there. The problem seems too be not that the sheep get too squirrely for C course, but that the C course sheep are hard to drive for the A course dogs. The sheep are so used to following the "shepherd" that you need a strong dog to push the sheep off.

Raspberry Ridge Sheep Farm - Herding, Positive Reinforcement, Dog, Training, Center, Border Collies, German Shepherd, Breed

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Daphne I will definitely reach out to Carolyn. I met her at Sherry Lee's once and she VERY kindly allowed Darling Daughter to hang out with her while we trained.

And making the sheep too "heavy"..... never would have thought. Quite interesting!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts