German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Try to relax and have fun! It's amazing to watch your dog when he/she sees the sheep for the first time and starts moving them. Even though Stosh was very excited he moved in natural relaxed way that I'd never seen before. They won't let your dog hurt the sheep so don't stress out about that

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm in Moore :)

You guys need to come to Claremore!

We are going with 3 adult GSDs, 3 (barely) six month old GSD puppies, and 3 mini longhaired dachshunds. I hope I have enough time to go do the instinct test, LOL!

I must admit, I'm scared witless. The thought of getting in the ring with a bunch of sheep and a GSD makes me nervous. :eek:
Yes I hope to go, just to watch of course! I would like for Meika to do it just to keep her in a "working mode" frame of mind.
I am preoccupied with Max's illness but should be able to sneak away.

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
It's this weekend!

I'll be up there, since both my girls are entered in conformation. I'm going to have to pass on entering them in the test though. Two dogs entered in two tests each was going to be another $200. I've got shows in Kansas next weekend, so I'm kinda broke.

I am going to watch though. I have a friend who has at least one GSD that will go through the test, so that will be fun!

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
Okay! So we are going to do it! Both girls, lol. I'll let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Let me know! We went to our trial last weekend and Stosh went wild the first day and we flunked big time. He was good the 2nd run so we qualified that time. Not bad for our first time

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
Going into this, I was anticipating Carly acting like a nut and trying to take out a sheep, and Sage barking her head off and running away... but.... this is how it went:

Carly qualified on both tests. Ya! That goofy girl got her herding instinct certificate. :)

The first test she was a little timid (not ever having laid eyes on a sheep before), but was interested. She did get head-butted, lol. Poor Carly, she looked so confused. She did okay and the judge passed her. :)

The second test, she couldn't wait to go in and see the sheep. She was much better and passed easily. It was so cool to see her move.

Sage qualified on the first test, but failed the second one. :(

She was timid as I expected. At first she seemed to think she was supposed to hang out with the sheep ("hey are you my new friends?"). But then she started barking at them ("hey you guys, DO something!") and then everyone got moving. She was a little distracted (she's somewhat of an airhead at times) but qualified.

The SECOND time, she had had considerable time to think about the whole thing, and decided taking out a sheep would be lots of fun. She got way too wound up, and at one point had a mouthful of wool which she spit out in one great big white puff. If nothing else, she is entertaining!. Anyway, she failed. The judge said don't give up on her, she just needs to learn to focus. I'll try her again.

And that was how I spent a hot day in a dusty barn in Claremore, Oklahoma. ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
Let me know! We went to our trial last weekend and Stosh went wild the first day and we flunked big time. He was good the 2nd run so we qualified that time. Not bad for our first time
And we had the opposite with Sage. Good the first time, and wanting to snack on a sheep the second time! :eek:

·
Registered
813 Posts
There is another instinct test in Broken Arrow on June 9th and they will be having a clinic after the test also. Here is a link to the information. MASCUSA

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
There is another instinct test in Broken Arrow on June 9th and they will be having a clinic after the test also. Here is a link to the information. MASCUSA
Thanks for the info! I missed it because I was just having to much trouble recovering from the loss of my dog.
Now I have the new aussie so I really want to do this. Do you know what age limit? I'll have to look at the link when I get back home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just came upon this community page through my search for FB or email contacts in the Edmond/Jones area for GSD Clubs. I too would be interested in herding events. I have three GSD, 2 of which are instinct tested. I am also interested in any other rally/obedience classes as well as conformation handling classes. Appreciate any help as we have just moved to Jones from NH. thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
You might want to contact the Four Corners Herding Association and ask them about herding. They have a FB page under FourCorners HerdingAssociation. Also, I would suggest getting ahold of Linda Holloway in Ponca City. She teaches herding, and is a herding judge. She has a FB page too (Linda J Holloway). She breeds lovely smooth collies and border collies, and of course titles them in herding. She was just named AKC Breeder of the Year in Herding. She knows her stuff.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts