German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of someone that holds herding classes in or with in an hour of OKC/ Edmond area ?

I googled and found 2 place but emails/phone contact in not correct or disconnected.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I would love this info too. I don't know of any place near the metro. There is herding around Elk City and Ponca City.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I get so frustrated finding anything . I was excited moving here but it seems must do just agility training.
I will email the GSD club in OKC to see if they know otherwise I will ask a few feed stores if they know of someone.

otherwise I am getting some ducks and do the training myself! hahaha

·
Registered
813 Posts
I found a lady in north OKC. Her name is Susan Abrams at Trio Farms. I am looking into getting my 2 GSD's started in herding. I don't know anything about herding or this lady but you can contact her and talk to her.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
You can start by going to AKC.org [American Kennel Club] and do a search for herding trials in OK. You'll get a list of the trials, clinics, instinct test dates and herding clubs. We've been herding for close to a year and we love it!

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
There are 2 herding instinct tests in Claremore, OK on Saturday March 31, in conjunction with the AKC all breed show. Ducks, sheep, cattle.

I'll be entering my 2 GSDs in the show, so I'll be there! I'm hoping I get the time to go watch the herding. I'd love to see how my girls would do, but all three of us are completely clueless... I'm pretty sure neither one of them has ever laid eyes on a sheep, a duck or a cow. Well, that's pretty sad!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Oh that is cool. Do you have a link to the information? One of my GSD's got in a little pin with some sheep and she went crazy. She loved it but she tried to nip the sheep. My other GSD hasn't tried it yet and I think he would be amazing at it.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
The akc.org website will have all the info- just go to the herding tab and select the state. It's a blast! You should definitely go. Don't worry, they won't let your dog injure the sheep

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread. :)

I am thinking about doing the herding instinct tests at the Claremore show in 2 weeks with both my girls. We'll be there for conformation, so why not!

According to the Claremore Kennel Club website, you must pass two tests to get the AKC certificate? So I assume I would need to enter both girls for both tests (I can see the entry fees adding up...$$$)

Can some one tell me what to expect? I am so clueless. :help:

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Look up Austerlitz German Shepherd Dogs....Susanne Shelton should be able to give you some information on the testing...she is the breeder I purchased by bitch from 6 yrs ago....she is very knowledgeable and active in the breed. She has her own website and is on Facebook also.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
You're correct- you must pass the instinct test twice to receive a certificate. The dog will be on a long lead and you and the trainer/judge will be in a pen with the sheep. What the judge is looking for is the dog's interest in the sheep and ability to move them around the pen. Your dog should have a good down or sit and recall, although most of that goes out the window the first time they're in with the sheep. It's a fairly wild, fast and furious experience and loads of fun. The dog should not attack the sheep but there's usually a lot of lunging, barking and excitement. The dog that goes in for the kill or ignores the sheep or is afraid of them will not pass. It's a blast!! It's the most amazing thing to see your dog do what comes naturally and well worth the time.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I have visions of Sage barking like a maniac, and Carly not being interested unless the sheep have a jolly ball, LOL.

It should be interesting!!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Here is an article I found when researching what to expect. I don't know if this is accurate or not. Instincttest

What part of Oklahoma are you in Diane? I'm in SW OKC. I'm thinking about taking my boy to the test.

I'm resurrecting this thread. :)

I am thinking about doing the herding instinct tests at the Claremore show in 2 weeks with both my girls. We'll be there for conformation, so why not!

According to the Claremore Kennel Club website, you must pass two tests to get the AKC certificate? So I assume I would need to enter both girls for both tests (I can see the entry fees adding up...$$$)

Can some one tell me what to expect? I am so clueless. :help:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
That's accurate. It's either 10 or 15 mins, I can't remember but you can look it up on the akc.org website. They have the entire rulebook available to download. You can do the test as many times as you want unless your dog attacks the sheep. A nip isn't considered an attack. It's a wild time!

·
Registered
813 Posts
That is good to know. My girl gsd was in a pin with sheep once and she tried to nip the sheep so I figured she wouldn't pass a test. I looked on the AKC site and it said to get the certificate, the tests had to be under 2 different judges. I can't tell if the 2 tests at Claremore will have different judges or the same judge.

That's accurate. It's either 10 or 15 mins, I can't remember but you can look it up on the akc.org website. They have the entire rulebook available to download. You can do the test as many times as you want unless your dog attacks the sheep. A nip isn't considered an attack. It's a wild time!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
It shows different judges each day- when you click on club info it shows all the details. An herding instinct test is different than a herding test. The instinct test is the one on lead in a pen for dog that has never been with sheep before. A herding test is for dogs who are at the beginning level and can move sheep under voice control by the handler. You have to move the sheep from one cone to another a few times.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good to know! Lots of helpful information. I am going to try and go to the Claremore trials

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
Here is an article I found when researching what to expect. I don't know if this is accurate or not. Instincttest

What part of Oklahoma are you in Diane? I'm in SW OKC. I'm thinking about taking my boy to the test.
I'm in Moore :)

You guys need to come to Claremore!

We are going with 3 adult GSDs, 3 (barely) six month old GSD puppies, and 3 mini longhaired dachshunds. I hope I have enough time to go do the instinct test, LOL!

I must admit, I'm scared witless. The thought of getting in the ring with a bunch of sheep and a GSD makes me nervous. :eek:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts