German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These seems to be a stumper for most any place I've called.

What is an herbal/alternative drawing agent to replace epsom salts and/or black salve? Something that is mild to the skin?

I know placing a split open aloe leaf over an infected spot will draw out infection but a bandage need to be placed over it.

What will work good in a warm compress?

·
Registered
31,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Why do I always find this stuff after I post the thread?

http://www.stephaniemarohn.com/firstaidabscess.pdf

Essential Oils
Chamomile, Lavender, and Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) are “the most
effective oils for treating an abscess,” says Patricia Davis, founder of the London
School of Aromatherapy. They can be used singly or in combination. Put a few
drops on a hot compress and place it over the abscess to draw out the infection and
reduce the pain and inflammation. Leave the compress on until it cools. Repeat as
needed.1

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
This is from an Ayurveda book: for boils - either apply cooked onions as poultice or apply a paste of ginger powder and turmeric (one half teaspoon of each) directly to the boil.

We always used that black ointment growing up.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
yes --- Chamomile . Make a strong "tea" and soak foot in the solution. Will draw out boils, and impurities. As kids we had this for drawing out splinters. Chamomile has anti-bacterial action also.
Now if you were to make a mud with chamomile, lavender, tea tree oil, or manuka oil , mixed in to french green clay - montmorillonlite (spelling) , you can pack it on to the area -- great for facial blemishes also.

Carmen
CARMSPACK.com

·
Registered
31,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has to be a compress, not a poultice. Can not be black salve.

What is an Ayurveda book?

·
Registered
31,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carmen - if I make a chamomile tea, add a drop or two of the oil, some lavender oil and tea tree oil...would this be a strong drawing compress that wouldn't irritate her skin?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
It has to be a compress, not a poultice. Can not be black salve.

What is an Ayurveda book?
Ayurveda is a natural healing system from India. Eating proper foods for your body type, natural healing, staying in balance. Also incorporates yoga, breathing properly and other things beyond my knowledge.

·
Registered
31,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 C water
1 t Echinacea
5 t Chamomile
4 drops Lavender
4 drops Emu oil

Wish me luck.....

·
Registered
31,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Doggiedad...the solution I mixed up worked very well. Some of the inflammation was gone and it wasn't quite as warm. AND...it didn't' burn her!

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
:thumbup:michelle!

·
Registered
31,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quite happy with the results!

Anyone else have any herbal remedies they use?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Not for the dogs, but when I start feeling a cold coming on I take Echinacea. It boosts the immune system and I have read that it is also a natural antibiotic. Love the stuff!

For calming dogs when they are upset-like for fireworks phobia's, thunderstorms, etc I like Melatonin. I also use it for my girl to aid in calming her so she can learn things better-she is hyper and borderline neurotic.

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
Do you have any idea what caused it?
When we were little, my Mom use to scrape a potato or tomato, lay it on the infection, cover it with a small piece of Sarah Wrap and tape it on for a few hours at a time. It was amazing to see how a vegetable would draw out the pus! :)
If you’d like to try a homeopathic, internally, here are suggestions for stages of boils or skin eruptions also some poultices and supplements. For the homeopathic's, you would give 4 little globules 4 to 6 times daily until improvement is noticed, then cut back.
You may be able to get these at a health food store (not GNC) or Whole Foods.
*Belladonna: in the early stages when it’s painful to them, when the skin is hot and red.
*Mercurius: if there is pus
*Apis: if it’s shinny and angry, red and swelling
*Silica: if there is a foreign matter in the abscess or it is a reoccurring infection. Silica can also speed up the eruption of the boil to help it discharge.
*Calendula tincture: is also a good compress for healing the opened wound.
*Comfrey: is another great infection healing herb used as a poultice or internally
*A Garlic poultice and taken with food will also fight infection and heal.
*I have read that taking kelp and/or a multi-mineral supplement with zinc is great at helping support the system while going thru this.

·
Registered
31,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes. I know what caused it. It's a puncture wound.

Thanks for the tips! I"ll look up the list of items you posted! Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
Yes. I know what caused it. It's a puncture wound.

Thanks for the tips! I"ll look up the list of items you posted! Thanks so much!
You are very welcome!
Since it is definitely a puncture, try Ledum for sure, as it is specifically for punctures. We used this on cats when they had a fight and they'd get those little holes in their face!
If the boil has some of the other signs too, you can use 2 homeopathic's, just at different times and always away from food & water (about 20/30 minutes) and in a clean mouth.
Poor thing must be miserable! Hope this helps your baby! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts