German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically...Iv had my GSD for around a year now and hes 4 years old, and he was in the police force previously doing drug sniffing and ect, but he got kicked out because he'd rather chase a cat then the actual burgular. (Hes a good guard dog) Other then that hes a lovely dog, with a brilliant temperment, and hes never attacked me, or my family, or friends. One problem though; he dont play. Dont get me wrong, he loves being stroked and showing love, but he never plays. Normally dogs play tug of war with you and stuff, but he dont seem to want to play. Could it be that his previous owners, before me, didnt spend much time with him? ( i kno they didnt, as i was told by the previous owner himself ). Or could it be the police training he has recieved? I have taught him quite a few tricks, like handshake...pawshake in his case, but yeh he dont seem to wana even chase after a ball. HELP GUYS PLEASE

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Does he like to chew?

Duncan, our mutt, has never been a play-er. He'd rather just chew on something or be petted. He'll play/wrestle with Anna, but when it comes to toys, or tug, nope, not into it.

If you've tried everything, squeaky toys, balls, stuffed animals, etc. and no reaction, he may be a non-toy kinda guy.

·
Registered
619 Posts
My lab has never been much of a player...or a cuddler for that matter...still a great dog...

They are like people in a way..just different personalities and likes/dislikes.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
some dogs like to play and other's don't
My lab has to be in the mood other wise Nope she rather you cuddle her.
I created a monster with Brady Must play 24/7
I wouldn't worry about it

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Most of the Hooligans have enjoyed playing ball or with other toys to one degree or another, but JR never played and his daughter, Honey, would pick up a toy maybe once or twice a year, carry it around for about 30 seconds, and that was the extent of her play periods.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
This sometimes happens with conformation dogs who have lived in a kennel all their lives and then go on to live with a family. They don't see their owners as somebody to play with and/or never have played.

You can teach a dog to play. They can also learn watching other dogs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts