German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dog duke is nearing 5 months old and his ears still are not standing. He is a medium haired german shepheard this could also be a reason. we tried the glue method. worst idea ever :mad: not only is there still glue on his ears we cant get it off and we bought the 30$ bottle of demosal. we used the perma-type cement. we tried the tape method and it worked a lot better but we cant get the foam rollers to stay inside his ears, but i dont want to "glue" the rollers to his ears bc i dont want to hurt the leather inside his ears.

ideas!! ??

In my picture his one ear is standing and then it falls if i gets touched and then dosent come back up.. :(

·
Registered
800 Posts
Has Duke lost all his puppy teeth yet? Does he have plenty of chew toys for working/strengthening his jaw muscles? Have either of his ears stood in the past, or have they always lopped?

·
Registered
65 Posts
We are going through the same thing with Sasha. I agree with the above posts. Her ears will stand up and have stood up, but now decide to flop when they want. The positive thing is that her ears have been up as seen in her avatar picture. So I am pretty sure you dog's ears will come up as well. You may want to contact the breeder for suggestions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone. they have stood up and hopfully will stand up. but ever since they started to stand up his right ear has always drooped. and we spend more money on toys we fall short of food!! :) thanks again everyone i keep you posted!

·
Registered
800 Posts
If he is still teething, try supplementing his diet with some plain yogurt. The new teeth coming in are pulling the calcium from his ear cartilige, which weakens the ears and causes them to go lop (temperarily). If they have stood in the past, chances are good that they will stand again. No worries. :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Good luck with those ears, and you might ask the breeder about the same issue with siblings in the litter. Some lines have soft ears. I've had the same issues with Dexter, and now at 11 months (and much gluing, which I'm no longer doing but had no ill effects from it) Dexter has one ear that's up much of the time and another that flips and flops. Today both are up. Yesterday, both were down. I've decided that if he wants, he can keep them up. Has anyone noticed that in their dogs?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts