German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought these grounded premade beefwith bone and vege, so i m gonna feed half the block as it was forzen so i put the whole thing out and waited like 3 hours now its not very hard and i did cut it in half, should i put the other half in the freezer ? or i cant do that. im really confused all about this thawing and all that.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
It should be fine after refreezing. Just don't do it over and over and over or the meat will rot (I think?)

I'd thaw it out, separate it all into meals, or daily feeding amounts, then freeze and thaw as needed.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Ditto with what the others said. One thing though; in the future, you might want to consider thawing this food in the frig...say overnight. You can take out what you need for 2-3 days and leave the rest in the freezer. Just remember to take it out of the freezer the night before you need it. I've forgotten a few times and had to run to the grocery store and purchase a chicken so I had something edible to feed them. :crazy:

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
I buy meat in 40 pound cases - frozen SOLID. One HUGE chunk of chicken necks (for example).

I have to let it sit outside (or in our basement during the winter) until it defrosts - usually a day or so- and then I repackage it and refreeze.

I've had stuff thaw completely (and then some), refroze, thawed and fed it without a problem. :)

And then there's the time I left a case of beef hearts outside to thaw. They thawed, then we had a cold snap and they refroze (in a 60 pound chunk), then they thawed again but I couldn't get to them and the top came off and the crows were pecking at them and THEN I repackaged them and tossed everything in the freezer. Dogs never had a problem.

I TRY not to make a habit of letting stuff go THAT long again. :)

·
Registered
731 Posts
whenever I buy frozen food I let it thaw just enough to break it up, then package it in portions and throw in the freezer.
we buy Fanta's food once every few months and it takes us about one day (waiting for thawing included) to get everything ready.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
When I got the chicken and turkey necks they sat on my counter all day and then at night I had to run warm not HOT water over them to loosen, then back to cold water and separated them....it took me a few hours .... wow! but I refreezed no problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts