German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know where to post this,so MODS feel free to move it if necessary.

My husband and I have been talking about ways to help individuals who are homeless,but have dogs they are trying to keep with them. First of all this is a fine line because around here at least there are numerous people who are always on the corner pan handling,but they will out and buy cigarettes or alcohol if you give them money. I guess I can relate to some of these people that are trying to get on their feet,but just need some help because I have been in similar situations and know that everyone on the street isn't an alcoholic or drug head.

I would like some input as to how you can help people with pets,but not do everything for them if that makes sense. I want to be smart and not just go out there and help people who are capable,but just lazy. You know the good old 'Why buy the cow mentality?'

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
We have an organization here, Homeless Resource Network. They coordinate all kinds of services for the homeless; from Christmas presents to showers. Perhaps you can check to see if there is something like that in your area? Then if there is a low cost clinic that you can partner with?

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Our local humane society helps with free or very cheap spay/neuters, and has a program to feed the animals, along with temporary fostering: http://www.kazoohumane.org/Services.aspx

I would check with your local rescues and see if you can help set up those type programs or volunteer if they do have them already in place.
You are compassionate with a good heart, I hope you can find a way to help your community!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
We have lots of low cost spay/neuter programs, vaccine clinics, and food pantries for pets. The homeless shelter for battered women also offers a foster program for any pets that they might have also. I myself fostered 2 dogs for about 6 weeks about 8 months ago for a battered woman that came back home(here) and had no where to put her dogs. I think the food pantries for pets is a wonderful idea.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Check my signature - they screen the applicants and send the donations directly to the vet office. Pretty great group that has helped 2 of my foster dogs in big ways! You can help in a few ways - posting their PINs (Pets in Need) on your FB, spreading the word, monthly general donations, watch the board/get on an email list to get information about pets as they come in, and decide which you'd like to donate to, etc.

And thank you for wanting to help people help their pets.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I myself fostered 2 dogs for about 6 weeks about 8 months ago for a battered woman that came back home(here) and had no where to put her dogs.
I did the same thing for a while. I ended up being a foster failure for an Aussie bitch that was never reclaimed. She was a super great dog! Same lady had a Great Dane male, thank goodness I didn't have to take him home (I had intact females, so would only foster females or altered males.)

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We only have one shelter in our county and I have already tried to propose the idea to them because a lot of animals are surrendered due to lack of money or a place to keep them temporarily when someone moves. They were interested,but finally said that they wouldn't have time to put something like that together :confused:. One thing about them is that they aren't the most organized and that has been a major problem over the years.

I used to purchase food on my own every month and give it away,but I found out that people were coming to get food when they could afford to buy it,but since I was giving away a high end brand,why should they ? I actually had one man park his car down the road a little bit and walk up to my house. He said his friend went to get gas and would pick him back up. I gave him 2 50 lb bags of TOTW and saw him driving off in a Mercedes Benz when I looked out the window.

I have been thinking about starting my own organization,but in my area it's been hard to get people on board. I need to find a better way to go about it,because I failed miserably before. All animals need to eat,but you always have people that ruin it for everyone else. Thanks for the tips though.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hats off to you for caring. I've seen too many neglected dogs for comfort.

No matter how bad things get in your life, the moment you walk in the door and your dog acts like it's been years since they've seen you the stress melts away.

There are a lot of people who have made it a lifestyle to game the system. I hope you are able to weed them out and help people who love their dogs and need help.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
What about you heading up a service through that shelter that is overwhelmed?
Ask for volunteer help. I think the link I have in my previous post would be great to contact for help in setting up such a service. They are extremely helpful in my community to get animals safe. It isn't a shelter, but a service(and not affiliated with the HSUS) Fortunately, we have many rescues available for helping shelters.

Or any other group that already has something in place should be willing to share how to get it going(from the other links above).

If the shelter is that disorganized, maybe start there-help them get organized, and work your way into setting up some services within their umbrella?

In my area, we are so fortunate that many volunteers help in the small way of keeping the petfinder pages current with photo's and the bigger way w/fostering which are so needed.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
We only have one shelter in our county and I have already tried to propose the idea to them because a lot of animals are surrendered due to lack of money or a place to keep them temporarily when someone moves. They were interested,but finally said that they wouldn't have time to put something like that together :confused:. One thing about them is that they aren't the most organized and that has been a major problem over the years.

I used to purchase food on my own every month and give it away,but I found out that people were coming to get food when they could afford to buy it,but since I was giving away a high end brand,why should they ? I actually had one man park his car down the road a little bit and walk up to my house. He said his friend went to get gas and would pick him back up. I gave him 2 50 lb bags of TOTW and saw him driving off in a Mercedes Benz when I looked out the window.

I have been thinking about starting my own organization,but in my area it's been hard to get people on board. I need to find a better way to go about it,because I failed miserably before. All animals need to eat,but you always have people that ruin it for everyone else. Thanks for the tips though.
Make sure you check out IMOM. :D (herding breed here!)

But one thing I've been able to do here is - the rescue gets food donations from a pet food store - sometimes lots of cat food, which we cannot use, and sometimes dog food that people don't need or don't necessarily want to use. So I let my county Office for the Aging know - they run the Meals on Wheels program and deliver food to senior citizens. Many have pets and the volunteer drivers were seeing that the clients were giving some of their meal to their pets because they couldn't get pet food. I grab all the cat food I can get and any dog food and treats (the drivers love that because then they can give out treats too) that are available and take them to their office, where they distribute it. It's a huge win-win.

You just have to be careful that no one who could imagine bad things gets involved - a similar program was stopped because they were afraid the elderly would eat the pet food if they had dementia, etc, and did not want to be responsible for it. :rolleyes: I mean, I'm neurotic, but if they are going to eat weird stuff, they are going to do it, pet food or no (litter, etc!).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts