German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure where to post this so I placed it here.
Sorry for the novel.
We are having a hard time making sure our 15 month old, just spayed pup is safe.
Here is the background: She had surgery on Friday. We picked her up and was sent with pain pills and "calming" pills. The weekend went well as we were in sight of her the entire time, making sure she remained calm, did not jump, did not chew and/or lick. Then monday came and we had to return to work. She went in her crate with the Kong inflatable E collar on. Got home, the collar was shredded. Thankfully she left the stitches alone. Got her the plastic cone and tried it on her last night. She just freezes(which is fine with me as long as she stays calm and can't get to stitches). Problem is, that thing is just too big for her to wear in her kennel/crate.
Wife is home sick today so we are covered but we need to figure things out for tomorrow.
Some more important background info- she is a rescue and after a couple weeks with us, decided to start to show separation anxiety. She gets in her crate fine, but as soon as her treat is finished she screams and paws and wants out until she tires herself out. We tried leaving her and our 3 year old out (he is fine out of crate and has been left out for some time now) for short periods of time, she failed the test (chewing on the rugs, drywall, and such).
We have been giving her the calming pills (up to 3 at a time as recommended by the vet) they seem to take the edge off but she still will get burst of energy.
So our dilemma, we have to go to work and do not have anyone to come stay with her. We are trying to come up with a solution to keep her and her stitches safe for the next week or so. She has left the stitches alone, but my thoughts are that at some point they will probably start to itch or bother her and we don't want something happening.
We are thinking maybe leaving her out of crate when we have to go to work, with cone on, giving a couple calming pills and maybe finding a muzzle that would keep her from being able to chew anything in the house.
The muzzle would kind of also be a back up for the cone, she is smart, strong and crafty, like all GSDs.

We tried the t-shirt ideas, but with her shape, it just ends up around her butt.
Also thought about a t-shirt and maybe a thunder shirt over it, but those are not cheap and not sure if she would be able to get it off if she wanted another chew toy.
Any tips/advice/ideas?
If the muzzle is agreeable/ok, any recommendations?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,126 Posts
I think it would be worth the expense to buy a thunder shirt.I would try leaving her outside the crate with her thunder shirt on. With the calming pills that may keep her quiet and she will nap. I wouldn't leave her alone with either or both the cone on and the muzzle. She will not be able to drink water and she may panic at the confinement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,743 Posts
We used a collar like this when we had our girl spayed. It worked well. Allows for crating and eating and drinking while it is on. She couldn't bend her neck enough to get to her belly to chew or lick stitches.

[ame]http://smile.amazon.com/MWI-BiteFree-Collar-Size-MEDIUM5in/dp/B000O5JWV4/ref=sr_1_10?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1455659943&sr=1-10&keywords=bite+free+collar[/ame]

If you have Amazon prime you can get it quick. Maybe find one like it at a local pet store. Best of luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
We used a collar like this when we had our girl spayed. It worked well. Allows for crating and eating and drinking while it is on. She couldn't bend her neck enough to get to her belly to chew or lick stitches.

http://smile.amazon.com/MWI-BiteFree-Collar-Size-MEDIUM5in/dp/B000O5JWV4/ref=sr_1_10?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1455659943&sr=1-10&keywords=bite+free+collar

If you have Amazon prime you can get it quick. Maybe find one like it at a local pet store. Best of luck.
We tried the cone the day after our original post, we have a camera in the dog room and 20 mins after we left for work, we check on her and a piece of the cone was hanging from her collar and the rest was in pieces.

Thanks for the information about the Bite free. We ordered the Bite Free and had it shipped overnight.
That thing is awesome!!! What a sweet invention. She had no issues letting us put it on her and once it is on, it does not seem to bother her at all. We were able to keep her in her crate while we were at work and she could move around without issue. She wore it at night while we slept, she seamed comfortable with it and was able to easily drink with it on.
We take her tonight to get the stitches removed and we are going to take it with us to show the vet. It just amazes us that the vets do not know about this collar yet. In our opinions, it is so much more humane and seems to be so much easier on the pup while going thru the healing process.
Granted it probable is not the answer to certain injuries( like on legs) but for spayed or neutered dogs, this thing is worth way more than what they charge for it.
I think these things should be posted in a sticky or something to spread the word of what a great alternative to the cone they are.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top