German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a cat person and never have been. I have actually never even owned a cat. However, this little guy or girl is attached to my house. I need cats for dummies please because now my daughter wants to keep her instead of rehome.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know!! She or he has such a sweet tempermant but I don't know how to take care or a cat. How do I tell if it is a boy or girl? What to feed? Can you house train a cat lol? Most importantly, how do I introduce it to LJ? He has never been around a cat before and I don't want him to think it is food. That would mortify my daughter.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry it is upside down...I don't know why my pictures are never right side up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is officially a she and she is under 6 months due to not having molars yet. Thank you google.

·
Registered
317 Posts
They pretty much take care of themselves. You buy it a litterbox and some cat food. They're not like dogs - no training required (or even possible lol). Their moms litterbox train them. They don't have accidents unless they are mad at you or geriatric. The only real decision with a cat is do you want an indoor cat (stays in all the time) or outdoor cat (free to com and go). Outdoor cats are generally happier but of course can meet with misadventure (cars, other cats, etc.)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank You! I may try and introduce LJ to her tomorrow. Lord I hope he doesn't think she is a new toy :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
Cats are mostly self-maintained. My dog grew up next to a kitten of the same age, who unfortunately passed away a few months ago.

I've had cats all my life. There's no litter box training - just show them where it is, and they'll handle things from there. I'd suggest an automatic litter box to save yourself a lot of work; I used a ScoopFree litter box and it was great - change the litter once per month.

Cats can be rather sensitive to what they eat, but it's very important they DO eat. Get it on a stable diet and you should be good to go. They love milk (but are actually lactose intolerant - just like dogs), and will beg for food endlessly.

Expect all furniture, drapes, etc. to be scratched up. Expect the cat to climb on anything and everything - top of fridge, inside of fridge, window curtains & window screens, tables and desks, etc. If you're on the computer, the only place to sleep in the entire house will be your keyboard.

Cats are generally very easy and great pets.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
she's a cutie! I adopted my cat at the same age and honestly, in 9yrs, I haven't had to do more than feed her and change the litter box. I bathe her sometimes, maybe annually, but I don't need to. I like her to smell nice and she doesn't mind water.

luckily I got a "dog cat" in that she gets along great with my boys, can handle rough housing, doesn't jump on furniture (aside from my bed or couch), doesn't scratch or shred things, doesn't claw me or dart around my ankles, and doesn't bring me dead mice! haha. she is indoor/outdoor but only because she doesn't venture out of my garden and comes when called. I gotta say, she's a joy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi, and congratulations on a new addition to your family...;)
I have three dogs and one cat and they get along great. It all depends on you. If you are a strong leader and can control your dog, you can introduce just about any animal inside or outside of your home. The introduction should be very slow and careful, however, and the smaller animal should be always protected by you. The cat should have a way to escape (a tree or a table) and the dog should be always on a leash or in a crate in the beginning. Please, don't take a risk of injuring this sweet kitty, or your dog's eyes!!! Whether you decide to keep the cat indoors or outdoors, you should spay her first (when she gets used to you). Buy dry and canned cat food and feed her once/twice a day. Cats really love any food made with fish! Provide fresh water. Litter box only if she will be in the house. Warm and dry place to sleep if she will be kept outdoors. Your daughter will have a lot of fun raising this beautiful cat, you'll see.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE!! LJ met Elsa this morning (I never get to name any of my pets, poor LJ's name is actually Logan James lol). He did wonderful!! At first he just kind of look at her and ignored her. He went to lay on his bed and I will be darned if she didn't come and snuggle up beside him :) He tolerated it fine and there were no punches thrown between the two. LJ is on a raw diet now and is loving it and I actually caught Elsa in his food bowl...EATING WITH HIM! So I am researching how to feed a cat raw. Any ideas? The only thing now is that it seems like with her having such a sweet temperment she has got to belong to a family...obviously one with kids because she slept with mine last night when they decided to camp out in the living room. I will be making some calls to insure that we are not hoarding someone elses baby. Yes, I know it is upside down. I do not know how to fix that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
How lucky are you to get a cat that is good with dogs? That doesn't happen all the time:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts