German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have an 8 month old GSD Male who is now up to 38kgs. He is also unaltered. He is starting to get on my nerves! He is being very naughty and will not do as he is told (his obedience is usually good), he is biting hands as you walk, he has started jumping up on people, he thinks all the time is play time, and he is a bit snappy too. Its only in the last 2 weeks he has started doing it. We try and correct him by turning his attention to toys etc, but i'm just about at my wits end! Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
At this age, pups often have a peak in their need for exercise and mental stimulation. What was adequate before is now not enough. So he is not being naughty - not in the sense that he is being bad on purpose, he is trying to tell you something, he is communicating with you and others using behaviours that he already knows: he is saying his needs aren't being met. Increase his exercise, do more training, teach him tricks, get involved in fun dog activities - you'll have fun and increase your bond at the same time, and will be helping him settle and be good.

He is also entering his teen-age phase, where he is testing his boundries and freedoms. So in addition to increasing his exercise and training time, you will need to be very consistant in enforcing house rules and good behaviour rules - the good news is that this is only a phase and it should pass.

This is the age that most dogs get surrendered to the shelters, the perfect pups that always obeyed now are acting like your pup. People feel that the dog is more that they can handle and surrender it, when a little adjustment in your commitment to working with the dog and being patient for your pup to mature is all that is needed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lucia! I feel better now! I thought I was doing something wrong! I will increase everything and see how I go. Surrendering him has never ever entered my mind. He's my little baby!!
How could I get rid of this beautiful face....

Attachments

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
that's one thing I'm REALLY not looking forward to with Dax. He's already being kept pretty busy.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
its a phase your pup is going through, you`ll have to acquire more patience, and the pup will need more physical exercise and mental stimulation, you will survive

·
Registered
169 Posts
Happened like clockwork for us too, right around that time the destruction factor went way up in our house (dog bed, pillows, sheets!). We figured out pretty quickly he needed way more daily exercise (including AM hikes) and that has addressed most of the issues. He was also very bite-y especially when hyper, so I had to be more stern with corrections (grabbed his neck scruff a couple times with stern NO!) and that worked pretty fast. We're still working on his jumping on people, that seems to be the hardest to break for us. I have been able to stop him from doing it to me and my husband but it's still a challenge with neighbors and strangers.

Gorgeous dog by the way!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Lucia........You ROCK!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts