German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have never had a GSD pup or even a dog before I was wondering if I could get some tips.

1) When I got her she was really good with potty training, I took her out every 2hrs and had her on a regular eating schedule. Now, she pottys on the floor even after I've just taken her out and she went from never pooing on the ground at night to having a pile of poo the last two nights.. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.. She's still on the regular eating schedule and potty schedule.. is it something I'm doing?

2) I can't figure out anything to get her to stop biting. I know its a puppies thing to bite so they can learn what stuff is, but with her needle teeth it really hurts! Plus, I don't want her to get into the habit of it and it evolve into something worse when she gets older. I've tried saying, "NO!" firmly and making a loud squealing noise like the mom and her littermates would do if it hurt them when they bite. I also tried saying, "ouch!" and going into a different room for 15seconds and then coming back out with a huge "HI!!" and lots of love but nothing... and I mean nothing... I have tried works D:

and finally

3) Her crying. its been 3 night now that I have had her, and she still is crying and howling and barking all night long. I know its just her being lonely and I've done everything from wrapping a warm water bottle in a shirt of mine and placing it in there with her, to playing music real low by her kennel and even tried to sleep right beside her kennel.. nothing works. She still cries loudly all night. Maybe I just haven't given it enough time..

I'd really like the advice of some experienced GSD owners! I want my Mia to be as happiest as she can be and make her life as stress free as I can!!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
The first night I had Varik I didn't sleep all night and apparently neither did he! The next night (and he's still there now at 12 weeks) I moved him to our computer room with his own mellow puppy playlist going on the computer. I still took him out a couple of times during the night, but ignored the noises otherwise. I found he didn't want to potty at midnight and sometimes not even when I took him out at 3. He has been going 8 hours now since he was probably 9 or 10 weeks old.

I know their teeth hurt. We have many discussions about that every day. Be sure to keep a toy to stuff in her mouth as a redirection. If she seems to be ramping up, she may just be a little too tired and need to be crated for a nap.

Is she going outside when you take her? If not, then you need to take her out every 10 minutes or so until she does go. If you can't watch her, crate her. You need to make sure she doesn't get in the habit of going inside. Be sure to clean thoroughly with enzymatic cleaners.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
I copied Maggieroselee's post from another thread to address #2

"A bored puppy doing what bored puppies do until they are TAUGHT to do something different (like grab a tug toy and THEN we play, or grab a ball and THEN we play).

My bored puppies know that the 100% way to get an immediate reaction from me is to bite me. Smart puppy!

So what I know is that BEFORE my puppy gets bored, I need to be PROactive and teach them to use toys (not my body) when they want to play with me.

I also know that if I can take them to some place for hours of OFF leash play and activity with other dogs (puppy classes? friends friendly dogs? hiking) then they come home and CRASH rather than start to bite me.

If I am too busy to monitor and step in to prevent the bites, then this is just another use for the crate to manage the situation until I'm back in the game and able to teach.

EXERCISE and puppy classes plus off-leash activities are key."

For number 1 you might want to try and tether her to you while she is out of her crate/kennel. You will be able to keep a better eye on her and get her outdoors more quickly, once she goes outside praise like crazy. How many times do you take her out at night? You may need to get up and take her out a couple times until she is old enough to hold it longer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try moving her to a different room, (right now she stays in my bedroom, inside her kennel) and see how that works.
She usually pees everytime I take her out and poos after she eats and has had time for it to digest. I'll keep working on it! I'm probably just an over reactive new mom:) Thanks for the replies to both of you!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Mine were not in a crate at night, I had them a place to sleep right beside the bed from day one and they did fine with me getting up and taking them out to potty every 30 min or so. I think that the crate was scary to mine but not all pups may react the same way that mine did. The only time I used the crate was when I had to leave home and could not trust the pups to behave. Good luck with your baby, they don't stay little for long.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
1) she goes potty around the house, because she doesn't think of it as her home. Gently, put her nose to it and take her outside straight away each time she does it;
2) Her biting you is uncontrollable, probably, it's time for her milky teeth to go and they feel itchy; Provide her with large beef bones to fasten the process and to exercise her young jaw muscles;
3) Take her into your bed with you. You are her foster parent, so, be the one.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
1) she goes potty around the house, because she doesn't think of it as her home. Gently, put her nose to it
This is terrible advice. Nigel's suggestion is much better.

There are lots of threads on housebreaking. Nothing you've described here is that unusual for a puppy who's only been in your home three days, though.

Take a deep breath. Be patient. Read old threads. You'll be okay. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
No offense to David... But really? Rub their nose in it?
Me and my pup were doing great as well, she is 12 weeks and randomly decides... I don't wanna go out to potty cause one... You don't come out with me. And two... I'm kind of a brat. Just kidding. I love her.
But barely potties in the house when I first got her at 6 weeks. And then now she just was being stubborn. She tried to hide behind a couch and potty... Well... Poo really... She will pee outside... But now I've caught on to her little antics. And if she doesn't poo after a half hour of eatting I walk out with her every ten minutes... In the mean time in the house I watch for signs she is thinking about it... Sniffing... Circling and area while sniffing... And immediently direct her outside.. Or if its nice... I grab a chair and a book and sit out there til she potties... Lots and lots of praise when she is finished... Good "go potty" and stuff like that or what ever you tell your puppy she is doing the right thing

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
111 Posts
And my puppy has pretty much always slept in the bed with me and my boyfriend. Everyonce In a while we put her in the crate and when we leave she is crated... During the day she goes in it to nap. (Well, sometimes) make the crate a happy place! We just leave the door open.. If we happen to see her in there we tell her she is a good girl!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts