German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a GSD puppy about a month ago. I live alone, with one other dog (a GSD/border collie mix named Lucy). Lucy was a little slow to warm up to the puppy, which was understandable, considering she had the run of the house and suddenly there's a new, rambunctious puppy moving in on her territory.

My real problem comes from when I take my dogs home to visit my parents. My mom has this really spoiled Miniature Pinscher (hate the little thing, I really do). She hasn't ever really worked with it, or trained it, and the dog is super possessive of my mom. She's never had a problem with Lucy, or any humans, but every time Dagger goes near her, my mom's dog is biting and snarling and just spitting mad! And my mother won't really get onto her dog, just kind of says "No, don't do that!" and pulls her into her lap to get her away from Dagger.

Does anyone have any advice about what we should do to get these dogs to get along? The puppy has no problem, she just wants to play. But the Min-Pin absolutely hates her. She'll play with Lucy, but if Dagger goes near her she bites--and I mean hard. She's sent Dagger running and whining on more than one occasion, and I've had to check for blood (none so far, thank goodness).

Is there something my mother needs to be doing, that would make her dog understand that Dagger is there to stay? Or should we just wait it out and let them come to terms with it on their own? I hate to get involved, but I also don't want to see Dagger get hurt for just being curious! It's what puppies do, after all!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
My real problem comes from when I take my dogs home to visit my parents. My mom has this really spoiled Miniature Pinscher (hate the little thing, I really do). She hasn't ever really worked with it, or trained it, and the dog is super possessive of my mom. She's never had a problem with Lucy, or any humans, but every time Dagger goes near her, my mom's dog is biting and snarling and just spitting mad! And my mother won't really get onto her dog, just kind of says "No, don't do that!" and pulls her into her lap to get her away from Dagger.
I think you already answered your own question.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Keep Dagger from bugging the min pin when it obviously doesn't want to play. Keep the puppy on a leash and if Dagger bugs the min pin and ignores the min pins warnings, redirect the pup to something else like a bone or toy. The min pin should be respected, if she doesn't want to interact with the puppy she shouldn't be forced to. All that does is piss off the min pin and teach your puppy its ok to ignore warnings and harass other dogs.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Don't let her take the dog on the lap. This empowers it because it's higher than the other dog.
Maybe when the little dog is acting up again, have your mom put Lucy on her back and hold her there until she is relaxed. Also, after a fight you can pick up Lucy and let Dagger smell her rear. This automatically puts Lucy in a submissive position :)

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Your mother needs to train her dog but it doesn't sound like she's going to. Even if she's willing to work on things, using your puppy for part of the lessons is a really bad idea.

I wouldn't let my pup near the Min-Pin at this point. Puppies need good experiences with other dogs, not bad ones.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Your mother needs to train her dog but it doesn't sound like she's going to. Even if she's willing to work on things, using your puppy for part of the lessons is a really bad idea.

I wouldn't let my pup near the Min-Pin at this point. Puppies need good experiences with other dogs, not bad ones.
Agreed. I also agree with the ideas of getting the minpin into a submissive position.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Your mom has trained her dog to behave this way - by not training the dog at all and by enabling it.

Think you have to start with the source on this one...

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
i don't think you should ever alpha roll or pin a dog. who
told you to do this or wher did you read about this?
I'm with DoggieDad on this one except I don't care who told anyone -- just don't do it. (pin a dog) And don't hold it so the other dog can smell it's butt either. You'll be asking for a bite if you do this.

AND to the OP - you are visiting your Mom's when this happens. While it is regretable that the mini pin isn't accepting of your pup, it is your Mom's house and the MP is tops there. I think you need to show respect for both the min pin (I don't care if you hate it) and your Mom. Despite what some people have suggested it isn't your place to tell your Mom how to handle her dog in her home when she perceives she is having no problem. When visiting, crate your pup so she'll leave the mini pin alone.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Not good. Your Shepherd pup is going to get a bad impression of small dogs and will become VERY aggressive toward them as an adult dog. This is not what you will want. I would NOT allow your pup to go near that little monster until your mom realizes that she needs to reprimand that behavior.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Not good. Your Shepherd pup is going to get a bad impression of small dogs and will become VERY aggressive toward them as an adult dog. This is not what you will want. I would NOT allow your pup to go near that little monster until your mom realizes that she needs to reprimand that behavior.
I agree. Think I'd really curtail visits to your mom unless she gets on board with some training. Chances are she will NOT though, and you have to realize it's her house and her rules. You aren't going to be able to change the dynamics unless she gets on board with HER dog.

I'm betting your mom gets a kick out of her small dog 'protecting' her from your GSD pup so why would she stop it? Many people THINK it's just adorable to have that snarling bundle of fury on their lap.

It's YOUR responsibility to keep YOUR dog safe and well socialized. You don't want any bad meetings cause it can really affect the rest of your pups life. I'd use management of the situation if you have to visit your mom (and keep the trips short). Crate your dog. Leash your puppy to you so it can't get near your mom's dog. And go for TONS of trips to the yard/walks/hikes places you can take your pup and get away from the other dog.

·
Registered
34 Posts

+1!

Mom needs serious :help: with the Min-Pin and your pup doesn't need to be terrorized.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the advice!

I do agree that it's the MP's house. My mom has been trying to correct her behavior by putting her on the floor when she starts to growl. We're starting to think it's only a possessive behavior she has for my mom, because she only starts to snarl and bite when my mom shows attention to Dagger or Dagger gets too close to them when the MP (named Precious) is laying in her lap.

Dagger seems unfazed for the most part, and thinks it's some sort of game. They're getting a little better, and hopefully with time Precious can learn to accept that Dagger is now a part of the family. She has no problems with my other dog, Lucy, but we think this is because Lucy was here before Precious. Hopefully with time Precious will accept Dagger, and until then we're both keeping a close eye on them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update!

I went home this weekend. For a while, they seemed fine. Lucy has always gotten along great with Precious. They're big pals, and have been since my parents first brought Precious home a year ago.

This morning, Lucy saw Dagger "attack" Precious. I did not witness this, because I was in another room, but I heard Precious yelp, so I do know something happened. They brought Dagger to my room and put her in there with me. No blood was drawn or anything like that. They say Dagger leapt up into the chair where Precious was, and a small fight ensued. Mostly, it sounded, by the way my parents talked, that there wasn't a lot of biting going on, but they were snarling and showing teeth.

Then, later tonight, I left the room to pack up my things, and I heard Precious yelp again. One of those really high pitched scream type yelps. When I went into the living room, they said LUCY had been the one to attack Precious, and this time Precious was limping where Lucy had bitten her on the leg. This has NEVER happened before, in the two years that I've had her! Lucy has never been aggressive with ANYTHING, much less Precious. Those two have been best friends for a year.

Is this new behavior something that I'm doing wrong? Did she see Dagger leap up onto Precious and think this behavior is okay? Both times the fights broke out, I was in another room. Could that have been a factor also, that I, as their leader, wasn't there to correct the behavior as it happened? My dogs respect my parents, but they know I am their "boss". I don't have trouble with them with I'm in the room, and even if I do, I'm there to see the behavior and correct it before it escalates.

Sorry about the long post. I am completely tore up about this. Especially Lucy's behavior. Dagger I understand, because she's a puppy and she's still learning. Is this something that I brought on Lucy, by bringing a puppy into the household? Should I be doing something that I'm not doing? Any suggestions at all would be a great help. I don't want my dogs being aggressive with ANYONE, much less a family member's pet. They're going to be around Precious a lot, and that kind of behavior is just not acceptable. What can I do to correct it (besides actually be in the room the next time it happens)?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Sorry about the long post. I am completely tore up about this. Especially Lucy's behavior. Dagger I understand, because she's a puppy and she's still learning. Is this something that I brought on Lucy, by bringing a puppy into the household? Should I be doing something that I'm not doing? Any suggestions at all would be a great help. I don't want my dogs being aggressive with ANYONE, much less a family member's pet. They're going to be around Precious a lot, and that kind of behavior is just not acceptable. What can I do to correct it (besides actually be in the room the next time it happens)?
I know you probably don't want to hear this again but keep the puppy away from your mother's dog, at least for the time being.
The last thing you want to do is put the puppy in a position where he has to defend himself.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Light into that mini-pin a couple times with a couple slaps on the chops when he gets crazy.

You teach him is she won't.

Eventually that puppy of yours will say enough is enough and set the pin in his place.

I don't hate mini-pins but gotta slap some sense into the dog, albiet dont beat him down...

·
2,967 Posts
2 dogs together will create a pack and give each other confidence to confront situations they may have avoided before. Your two dogs living together now have a pack. And if Precious starts with one...my experience is that then she will have to deal with both.

Like the other have said...if you are going to visit the parents you will need to keep the dogs strictly separated. Unless Precious changes you really cannot expect things to get better. Only worse. At this point you know it's not going well, so you need to manage the situation. Not all dogs will get along-especially not dogs that don't live together. Sometimes you just have to know when to throw in the towel and avoid the situation.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
How often do you visit your parents. I'm assuming they live some distance away that you have to stay there? Must your dogs go on these visits, or could you board them, or have someone pet sit?

Your dogs are your responsibility. Knowing there are problems, you should NEVER leave them in a room without you. Your dogs should be with you at all times. I would be upset if YOUR dogs hurt MY dog. It doesn't matter if the little dog is ill-mannered, or even had it coming. It is the min-pins' home. It is your parents' home. The min pin should be safe in her own home.

You are not doing any of the dogs a favor by allowing this to happen. They only thing you can change is your own actions. When you leave the room, your dogs go with you. If you can't watch them, shut them in a separate room or crate them. Or...Leave them home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts