German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Samson is 14 weeks today. And I have a problem. We have set up a big sand box for him (8'x8') for him to go poo and pee in. He is still under crate training. So ill take him out of his crate and walk him to his box (off leash) and he will goo poo and pee. After that I let him play for 15 min and he will poo again sometime even twice. I don’t understand why he does that. We have been doing this box thing for over a month and he still goes poo in other places. I would like to be able to leave him outside now and trust him that he will go to the bathroom in his box. But it’s just not working he only uses it when I walk with him over there. I hope someone can help.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Samson is 14 weeks today. And I have a problem. We have set up a big sand box for him (8'x8') for him to go poo and pee in. He is still under crate training. So ill take him out of his crate and walk him to his box (off leash) and he will goo poo and pee. After that I let him play for 15 min and he will poo again sometime even twice. I don’t understand why he does that. We have been doing this box thing for over a month and he still goes poo in other places. I would like to be able to leave him outside now and trust him that he will go to the bathroom in his box. But it’s just not working he only uses it when I walk with him over there. I hope someone can help.
We're talking about a puppy right? Not a kitty? :confused:

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
The reason he goes again after playing for a while is because moving around and playing stimulates the bowel.

If you want him to always poop in his box, then he's not ready to be outside unattended yet. When you see him starting to look like he's going to do it again, you need to rush him back to his sandbox and have him go there. Every. Single. Time. Once you see him reliably going to his box on his own once he's been playing for a bit and needs to poop again, you'll no you're getting close.

I would encourage you to think twice about training him to go only in a sandbox. You can easily end up with a dog that won't go to the bathroom on trips. If you ever plan to take him anywhere besides your home, he won't know that the rules are different for where you are.

·
Registered
45 Posts
yea bit strange, but i could understand the idea behind it as the mess will remain only in one place and not all over you back yard....however it doesnt sound like a sandbox you can take with you and that dog wont know what the heck to do elsewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts