German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Dharma just got home from day care. Tess has been great with her since Tessa got here on Sat with the exception of some food aggression. So, I now feed Tessa in her crate. Thanks to some advice in my other thread I have been working with getting Tessa used to her crate by throwing treats in there. And she is doing better with her crate.

The problem is since Dharma got home about 30 minutes ago Tessa has jumped on her aggressively 4 times!! I broke it up and put Tessa in her crate each time. After the last time she is still in the crate. It has been about 10 minutes. She can't really hurt Dharma since she doesn't have her canines but she is upsetting Dharma to say the least. Dharma doesn't fight back, just curls into a submissive pose and bares her teeth. I have had to pull Tessa off of her each time now. What can I do to stop this behavior?!?!?

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Keep a leash on Tessa so she doesn't have a chance to do that and put her in her crate when you can't supervise her. You don't want to crate her and have her think it's a punishment so it's just best to be proactive.

Have you made arrangements to get her thyroid checked? Dharma was at daycare, right?

Does it make sense that she might have other dog smells on her that may be confusing Tessa?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is very possible that she could smell other dogs. The rescue didn't approve getting her thyroid checked but I will ask about doing that for her next visit. She seems to have calmed down since dinner and both girls are now laying on the floor. It just worried me that she suddenly wanted to go after Dharma so much.

She has snarled at Dharma once or twice when she wants attention from me and Dharma comes to me at the same time. I just figured that she has been neglected for so long she doesn't know how to now that she has someone to love her and treat her right. So I try to have both girls sit or stand in front of me and pet and love on them at the same time. I have to admit this is turning out to be more of a challenge then I expected!!

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
It's a $30 test. I'd pay for it myself it they didn't authorize it. At her age, she should be tested, especially with hair loss (or do I have the wrong dog?). Look at her nose leather. Does it have a ridge on the end of her nose?

The snarling sounds like resource guarding. The food, you....both resources.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, there is no ridge around her nose. And the hair loss is due to the severe flea infestation she had. Apparently she had nests of them in her when they found her. She had got a pretty bad allergy to them and her skin is badly inflamed as a result.

She is definitely resource guarding. And I am working with her on that. I may just go ahead and pay for the thyroid test for myself then, just to rule it out.

She is so funny. This morning after my uncle picked Dharma up, she came running back upstairs, I was in bed sick, and woke me up, as if to say- "Mom, he TOOK her!!".

I think maybe you were right it maybe be the other dogs she smelled on Dharma because she seems to have settled down now.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
There is a re-greeting process in my house when I take a dog or dogs on an outing. Because it's my pack and I know what they are going to do, I can anticipate and know who can be let out first, who is going to be a jerk to whom, and what they are going to do. Also because it's my pack, they know the line. And they are "friends" even though they are acting...jerky. There is no bond here yet - so it's more reestablishing a lot of little dog things.

So definitely like Jax said, leash her but let Dharma come in, do her thing, walk past the crate (there may be some barking - HEY! YOU! Where the heck did you go! Let me sniff you! Let me sniff you NOW) and relax into the "I'm home and settled" before you let Tessa out.

I also wouldn't pet or love on them at the same time yet. I would give them each their own attention for quite a while until you figure her out better. I am a big fan of watching them and having them watch us for 2 weeks before we do anything much. That means I don't want to have to watch my dogs at the same time (because I can't!).

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
No, there is no ridge around her nose. And the hair loss is due to the severe flea infestation she had. Apparently she had nests of them in her when they found her. She had got a pretty bad allergy to them and her skin is badly inflamed as a result.
Then it's probably not thyroid but since it doesn't cost that much, I would still get it checked next time you are in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts