German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure wear to post this. I went over to a family members house today because they know I have and love GSD's. There is family in this person's neighborhood that has a shepherd caged in the back yard. They never bring it in, leave it in the heat rain whatever. I stood on the street and watched the owner kick the dog the cage yell and scream etc. The dog has some sort of skin issue it seems..ie missing patches of hair looks underweight etc. I SO had to constrain myself not to kick the crap out of the owner and put them in the cage..I so wanted to hurt this woman.

My question is who do you call to complain to keeping the best interest for the dog. I am aware of the mid-atlantic german shepherd rescue and left them a VM. Do I call the spca? or will that hurt the dog ie meaning just be PTS? I am almost ready to bang on this person door and tell them I will take the dog. If I knock on the door i will take my 80lb GSD Roscoe and ask her if she would like to kick a healthy GSD that I will not constrain..BITCHThis was so sad to watch.

BTW - I am in the bethany beach DE area

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to knock on the door and ask if they would like to surrender the dog and then try to place her in a rescue..if they say now then I will call animal control..thanks for telling me where to call

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I am going to knock on the door and ask if they would like to surrender the dog and then try to place her in a rescue..if they say now then I will call animal control..thanks for telling me where to call

if that dont work then steal the dog, and i say this seriously

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
if that dont work then steal the dog, and i say this seriously
I disagree ... it's never wise to suggest that anyone break the law. The other person should go with the legal avenues and contact animal control.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Let us know what happens. If they refuse, which they mostly likely will, i'd definitely call animal control.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Kudos to you for showing such constraint. I don't think I would have been able to. I probably would have at least yelled at her. I think your idea of asking then reporting is a very good call, I would just do it asap! Poor dog. Doesn't matter the breed or species no animal deserves that. :(

·
Registered
288 Posts
It is good that you are willing to try and help this poor animal. Hopefully, with the help of authorities, this dog can find a loving home. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I disagree ... it's never wise to suggest that anyone break the law. The other person should go with the legal avenues and contact animal control.

and if all that fails????

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I would try to ask to owner to let go the dog or to sale the dog to me.....otherwise, seriously, if there is a real danger for dog's life/health, I will steal it. Yeah, it is not "good", but this dog didn't deserved that life and the owner is also, to my eyes, a criminal for acting this way.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went back over the owners are gone..from what I understand here animal doesn't get involved it's a ddivision here called animal cruelty..but they said we are overwhelmed with calls... I will go back either tonight or tommrrow and ask if they would like to sell their dogs..if nothing transpires from either I bet the two dogs one's a shepherd the other a pitbull are going to simply disapear one night soon...looking for rescues for them both right now..I usually don't like to get involved in someonelse's business but this is a little over the top to see.

·
Registered
179 Posts
maybe if the animal control knew you would be willing to foster or adopt they would be more willing to help? me and my sister use to foster for our local rescue.

·
Registered
537 Posts
That is a shame that animal control wont get involved. I would call the local city council rep and be a major PITA (get everyone you know to call too)! Sometimes they can get some county programs to move on something. On another (calmer)note, my dad approached a neighbor who kept their dog chained saying he knew a family looking for the kind of dog they had...they gave the dog to him in a blink! Never have they asked how the dog was. I am the mind that is is never a good idea to break the law. Try the flies and honey route!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I went back over the owners are gone..from what I understand here animal doesn't get involved it's a ddivision here called animal cruelty..but they said we are overwhelmed with calls... I will go back either tonight or tommrrow and ask if they would like to sell their dogs..if nothing transpires from either I bet the two dogs one's a shepherd the other a pitbull are going to simply disapear one night soon...looking for rescues for them both right now..I usually don't like to get involved in someonelse's business but this is a little over the top to see.

thats bad that AC wont get involved, and i think at this point, if they do, the dogs will be grabbed by them and PTS, contacting a rescue is a good idea

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Its not wise to make public posts about stealing a dog that also list the area you are in and the events taken place.

WHen you go back if the owners say no or are gone take pictures of the dog and personally go to the authorities responsible and tell them what you've seen and your proof. Tell them you would like to take the dog, it may help if they know they can place a dog out rather than PTS another one.

Thank you for doing something to help

·
Registered
149 Posts
Can I just add that even though they are treating this poor animal like a piece of **** does not mean that they will give it up as many of you know those kind of people ( if you can call them that) purposely keep an animal to BULLY around because of their own insecurities. I had a similar thing with my Vinnie over 11 years ago, seen this little 12 week old skinny, fur less babe face covered in cigarette burns what did i do.....I TOLD the owner that I was taking him and if they had any sense they wouldn't even think about stopping me! By the way I am a 6 stone girl in weight and my fella Vinnie is a well happy boy 11 years on :)

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I'm sorry to hear a/c won't get involved and even sorrier to hear that anyone will be breaking the law because they decide to become judge and jury. Why not rob a bank and pay the person thousands of stolen dollars for the dogs? Or maybe just kill them? When you decide to take the law into your own hands you're not any better than a common criminal.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I did not give the previous owner much of a choice and they did not try to stop me, however when I reported them to The RSPCA she was taken to court and banned from owning ANY type of animal for 10yrs and given a hefty fine there is no doubt in my mind that if I had not have taken Vinnie he would have been dead within weeks if not days, when it comes to that point you do what you think is right and best for the animal

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update - Animal Cruelty a division of the SPCA here in Sussex County DE went to the house and ordered the owner to clean up the living conditions. Thats all they would tell me..kinda like it was none of my business which I suppose it's not. But **** it sucks to see a dog..regardless of breed being treated this way. I spoke the Mid Atlantic GSD Rescue and they have no authority to remove the dog or put pressure on the owner but asked me to pass their contact info on to Animal Cruelty...AC didn't even want the number..they said they are not removing the dogs but trying to educate the people...what a joke..how do you educate people who have their dogs way away from their house in small crated/fenced area,yell and hit them, never walk them, leave them outside all the time winter spring summer fall...the way these dogs are fed is the owner hangs a couple of small baggies of food on the fence and it's the dog's job to rip them open and eat.

As far as taking the law into my own hands and tresspassing theft..not. As much as I HATE seeing these poor defenseless dogs being abused trespassing and theft is not right. Their property is directly behind my GF's aunt's house so I guess the next move is to take pictures and video of the abuse and send them to Animal Cruelty and the local papers with the owner's names and address.

I would love to have this woman and her two kid's in a room with my GSD Roscoe and and ask them to kick him...he's not sick and contained like your GSD have at it..venting

1 - 20 of 36 Posts