German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. I'm new to the website but i'm really worried about my 9 week old puppy. I got him on Saturday from a cousin who rescued him from a really unhealthy environment. He has no shots but i'm taking him tomorrow. He had a really bad infection in his ear so I took him to the vet. They gave him some drops and an anti-biotic called Clavamox ( amoxicillin trihydrate/clavulanate potassium) to take for a week. Last night I gave him his first dosage of Clavamox & this morning he woke up very playful. Then, out of no where, at about 7:30 am he began to vomit. I called the vet and she said it couldn't be the anti-biotics because he would have vomited last night not this morning. Since then his tummy as been gargling very loud and very often (about every 30 seconds). He doesn't want to eat (which usually he loves to do) & he doesn't even want to drink water. I tried giving him boiled rice & nothing. Now all he wants to do is sleep but his tummy continues to gargle. Also, He whines a bit so I know he must feel very uncomfortable. I'm very worried it might be worms. Does anyone know what I should do??

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Would you eat if you weren't feeling good? Don't feed him until he's feeling better.

He could very well be wormy. Take a fresh fecal in to the vet with your pup. You said you had another appointment? If not, get one for today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Worms typically don'e cause those symptoms he could very well have some sort of intestinal parasite, but it's not the cause of this (IMO). The vomiting and the sounds from his stomach and refusing water sound dangerous though. I know others more knowledgeable will chime in, but a puppy that won't eat or drink water (more so the water part) can very easily take a turn for the worse since they can very quickly become dehydrated. Is there any possibility that he ingested something he shouldn't have ate?

Symtoms of Intestinal Blockage

The symptoms vary depending on the location of the blockage. The most common factor is the presence of vomiting, loss of appetite an difficulty defecating.

If the blockage is in the esophagus dogs likely be licking thier lips, swallow a lot regurgitate right after being fed (presenting indigested kibble in large pieces and often the vomit is of an oblong tubular shape) and often suffer from dehydration because unable to eat and drink properly. Because they are unable to keep food down, these dogs go down hill pretty quickly.

If the blockage is in the stomach, the pylorus is often blocked, causing the food to not make it through the intestinal tract. Episodes of vomiting therefore usually within a few hours after eating. The most common objects to create blockages in the stomach are large and smooth items such as golf balls, marbles and bones.

If the blockage is in the small intestine it means the object was able to make it through the pylorus but that it is getting stuck in the curvy areas of the small intestine. When this happens, gas accumalates causing the intestine to become distended and eventually the blood supply will be cut off causing the tissues to die. In this case, dogs wil develop vomiting soon after eating, abdominal pain,distended abdomen, fever, shock and even death if left untreated.

If the blockage is downer down the road towards the end of the small intestine, diarrhea is more common, however, vomiting may occur 7-8 hours later post eating.
I would take him to the vet today. The fact that your vet wasn't concerned about the puppy refusing water also concerns me. If you feel like your vet isn't as concerned as you are for your puppies well being, find one that will.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I agree, find a vet that wants to see him pronto. Since you mentioned he's from a rough environment it could be something like giardia- a bug that's found in water that's been contaminated by other animal, like a creek or water laying in puddles. Maybe try some Gatorade so he doesn't get dehydrated- orange and red seem to be the favorites. But definitely find a walk in clinic or someone who can see him right away. Poor little guy, he's such a cutie!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Last week my dog Lizzie was boarded at the vet for two days. When she came home her stool was lose and very dark, almost bloody looking. She vomited and stopped eating and I could hear her stomach gurgling from across the room....
Vet visit revealed hook worms. Apparently the ground somewhere she goes is contaminated. A round of antibiotics and worming and she is fine. In fact, she must have had them for a while because I couldn't get her to gain weight and now she is.

She was on the worm shot but the vet said that does not always work if the ground contains worms so he recommended going back on the monthly pill for worms and that takes care of heartworms too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much! You've all been very helpful. Thankfully Rocky is feeling better today. I'm not sure what happened to him yesterday but i hope it won't happen again.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Same here- Stosh spent 4 nights at a kennel- an exceptionally clean and nice kennel- and still ended up with hook worms. The vet did a complete fecal work up since he had giardia last month and found that he has an unusually high level of a bacteria that is normally present. She has him on an antibiotic and he's feeling much better too. Next time you're at the vet you might ask for a complete fecal just to make sure his colon is nice and clean! You know what I mean

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
That antibiotic does cause stomach upset so always give with food even though this time it wasn't related next time it may be:( I would also have a fecal done anyway and other tests for parasites coming from that type of environment and get him on heartguard which will prevent certain worms from reappearing:)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Clavamox can definetly cause vomiting and it doesn't necessarily happen everytime you give it. I agree with Zoey's mom it is best to give with food. Parasites can also cause vomiting but diarrhea is the more common symptom..typically when they vomit with intestinal parasites (usually roundworms) they will produce worms with the vomitus, giardia can cause v/d as well. Parvo is more common in GSD than other breeds and since he isn't vaccinated I would keep a close eye, symptoms of this are profuse diarrhea generally bloody and vomiting so I dont think you need to be concerned but get him vaccinated once he is feeling better :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts