German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a week and two days since I brought West home. He went to the Vet yesterday and he said West is very healthy. The only concern I have with him is that whenever he does something wrong, I say "West! NOO..." and 95% of the time, he comes back at me with a grunt or even a bark. I've even gone as far a nipping him in the nose since he doesn't react to my loud tone and even then I get the same reaction from him. I'm a little worried that this will turn into worse aggression as he gets older, especially since there are two other chihuahuas at home. Is this just puppy behavior or should I be worried? :help:

Thanks for any feedback!

-Eder

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I'd stop yelling "NO" first of all. And you're really nipping him?? I think all that will do is get your face bitten. You need to learn about positive training, not yelling and biting. Take an obedience course, learn how to use a clicker, give treats and praise for the right behavior.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read a lot of post, even on here, that say that saying "no" is ok when they are doing something bad so thats why I've done that... and I know nipping him isn't the best that why I've only done it once or twice. I have been using positive reinforcement when he does good. He has a clicker and treats. I understand that part, but what am I suppose to do when he is doing something bad?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Redirect his attention and praise him for doing what you want him to do. There were a few months when Stosh would bark at me when I corrected him for doing something he knew he wasn't supposed to do, like bite, and I have to admit it was pretty cute. I usually said 'uh oh' or made a harsh noise rather than saying no.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I agree in saving the "no" for BIG things later....Jake is now learning the levels of verbal correction..."ah ah" "uh o" and NO for different things and when corrects his behavior he always get praised! It is puppy stuff. Up the exercise, that always helps...

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
"NO" is fine but what happens is everything becomes NO, the puppy could even think it's name is NO.
Definately redirect with a toy. You really can't take your eyes off them for a second or they get into something. You have to remember he's only a tiny little baby and really doesnt understand anything.
My dogs are very vocal, it's not always aggression if a dog/pup barks at you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your feedback. My only concern was that it would turn into aggression. Iv'e had other GSs and none of them would come back at me like that. Thats why I thought this may be something to worry about. The more exercise and being just a baby makes a lot of sense also. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
As long as you take your dog out of the home to socialize, EXERCISE, and go to puppy classes.

Play Play Play Play and exercise exercise exercise SOCIALIZE your pup (unless he has some horrendous poor breeding) he'll be just fine. PUPPIES don't really have true agression.

Agression is something that starts cropping up usually cause we are messing up and not socializing, going to appropriate dog classes and EXERCISING enough.

I'm with the others that I RARELY say 'no' cause otherwise it's out of my mouth ever few seconds giving zero meaning to my puppy.

Instead I try to plan and organize proper exercise, socialization and TRAINING so my puppy is good and right and getting tons of praise and rewards. If I'm having a bad hour or so with a 'bad puppy' chances are pretty good it's MY FAULT cause I've got a super bored, under exercised, bundle of energy. I've found as soon as I stop whatever I was doing, take the puppy outdoors for a rousing 30 minutes of play, then back indoors................ I've got my practically perfect puppy back (and they usually go off to take a nap).

This is the stuff I have to do with my puppies at least 3 times a week!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the videos. When is it ok to take them out on walks and doggy parks? My vet said yesterday that its not safe until they are about 4 months. However, I see a lot of people on here saying that they are taking their puppies out much sooner than that. West just got his second shot yester FYI.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
you can take the puppy lots of places where other people don't bring dogs.....outside grocery stores, Walmart, Target...and in the pet stores the pup can ride in the buggy.....all these things will help wear him out! PLUS lots of playing and running around.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
In some areas you can bring your puppy to Home Depot.....where I live they don't allow it but many of them do! Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
In some areas you can bring your puppy to Home Depot.....where I live they don't allow it but many of them do! Enjoy!
My last roommate worked for home depot and told me that corporate policy was dogs are fine, but are technically supposed to be in the cart, and that they must behave

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
You don't want to take them to places that may have tons of unvaccinated or sick dogs.... but out in the woods in the middle of nowhere, to any/all friends with healthy and fit dogs (friendly dogs :) ) out generally to meet people.... all that's just fine.

Just a car ride to the bus stop to drop off kids, meeting all the kids while waiting for the bus, then driving to the store and home can be a great socialization trip!

Much better to start teaching our puppy what we WANT it to do so we can praise and reward..........than leave it up to it's own business which is almost always to get into big big trouble! If I plan to 'manage' their day with lot of activities and attention (baby gates and closed doors keep the pup in the room with me, crated when I'm not home) so I can keep them safe and in my view.

Puppy classes sometimes fill up fast so the quicker I find a session the better so I can sign up (I was in a set of classes the week before I even had my puppy so I had to show up without a dog for the first class :) ) the better. Full of other crazy people who are as concerned about the health and happiness of their puppy as I am!

·
Registered
627 Posts
When Freyja was little I only used No for the serious stuff, such as chewing electrical cords. I never realized I did this, but my Fiance pointed out that I had a range of vocal cues for when she was doing something she wasn't supposed to. When I could see she was about to chew on something I apparently would go "aah aah aah" high pitched and quick in succession. That would divert her attention long enough that she realized I was watching and wasn't pleased. When I caught her in the middle of doing something bad I would inhale sharply and make an "oooh" sound. She learned that that sound meant that she was in serious trouble. (just made that noise to figure out how to describe it and she woke up from her slumber to look at me...cutie) When she would do something naughty but playful and I wasn't too bothered by her I would ask "and WHAT do you think you are doing?" and the game would end. That phrase still works when she gets too rough in play. It means you pushed the limit and fun time is over.

The variety kept her on her toes and also gave her an idea of how severe her wrong was. Every once in a while she would snap back, and that was greeted with an "EXCUSE ME?" and I would pick her up and hold her until she settled down. Since the day she came home she has hated being picked up. I think that was the most severe punishment she has ever received, well except for the tap on her nose when she decided to chew the electrical wire.

I don't think your little guy is being aggressive, just showing his frustration with being corrected. Just be firm and unwavering and they realize that protesting gets them nowhere.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Bretta really wanted you to throw that tree.... she was very serious about that. Man, I WISH we had an area like that around here I could do stuff like that with Killian!!
Even funnier is I had NO IDEA how heavy that darn 'tree' was that she had carried for miles until near the end when we were at that pool in the creek. When I went to pick it up for a quick toss I immediately realized I couldn't cause she'd be faster than the pathetic toss and I'd end up knocking her out entirely by having it land on her head! :wild:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just did/do the uh uh uh noise and he knew he was doing something wrong. Never heard of nipping a dog's nose. I think that would make him assume aggression was okay. Be gentle with him, but firm. And by firm I mean don't give in but use patience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts