German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took both our dogs out on a tennis court last night. We noticed they were both limping. Got home and realized that one has a deep cut - almost like a rug burn on humans - on one of her front paws. While the other one has the same thing on her back paw. The only difference is the one on the back paw still has a flap covering the exposed paw pad. We cleaned both out with soap and water and put an antibiotic omintent on them and covered with a cotton sock. I made an appt for them to see the vet this afternoon.

How common is this? And what should I be braced with at the vet's office?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Ruby did the same thing to her foot a couple weeks ago. She was at a dog daycare and she doesn't have the sense to sit down and rest the ENTIRE time she's there. So she rubbed the heck out of her feet and had the same rug burn with piece of skin flap like you described.

It was very sore and she was curl in her foot if she though I was gonna touch it. I washed it gently with warm water and a cloth and some baby soap (johnson's). Then I placed some antiobiotic ointment on it with a Q Tip. I had to keep talking to he the whole time and DH had to nudge her head away when she tried to lick the Q tip I was using. I did that for 2 days, twice a day. After that I applied Badger Balm. I used the Healing Balm. You can get at a drugstore like Wal Green's, and I've noticed some beauty supplies sometimes carry. Anyway, it worked fantastic. And she didn't mind me putting it on a bit.

But! I did skip walking her for 3 days- she was quite bored. And anything like chasing and stomping bugs was discouraged.

Good Luck! I'm sure the vet will see it as minor. But let me know if he doesn't and what he says please? I just chalked it up to my dog is spoiled and is a "tender foot"
and she needs to SIT DOWN once in awhile when she's at daycare.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took Myla and Bella to the vet. All looks good and he said that both of their paw pads look to be on the way to a good healing. Been doing all of the right things so I'm just going to keep doing what we have been with the treatment. The vet also cut back some of the flap around the tear just so it can heal better and with less risk of infection. Thanks for asking!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts