German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone new here so don’t judge! Haha looking for my first GSD puppy and the photos attached are the guy I’m looking at as long as his temperament is good when I see him! He seems to be a very light sable but I’ve never seen through my browsing a sable look as light as he does? I have browsed the forum a ton and can’t get a grip on what he may look like when grown. I know sables change a lot but I figured I would put it out there for some feedback from you guys! By the way the dogs in here are incredible!! I’ve attached a comparison of some others the Breeder has had in past liters. Dad is sable and mom is a blue! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,260 Posts
I would not be buying from this breeder but if you must. Please make sure that mom and dad have hips and elbows checked at a minimum and don't take the breeders word ask for proof. They should have also been tested for dm and you should ask about longevity in the lines and also ask about hemangio and epi since those seem to be hereditary. My guess is you will get an answer somewhere along the lines of "my dogs have always been healthy" or "my vet says they're fine". Both those answers should scare you
In answer to your question about color fawn or light sable. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
I know someone with a dog that light. I almost hate to say it, but it was purchased from a BYB with no papers. They have had a lot of aggression problems and the dog has attacked their senior dog several times. Of course you can’t generalize, but good breeders don’t usually breed for unusual colors. There are so many German Shepherd breeders, a buyer should be able to find a reputable breeder with sables.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply! This pup comes with papers and tbh this seems like a “rare” color for them and they by no means are breeding for rare colors dad is a sable and moms a blue! So if I were to venture a guess it would be more of a “silver sable” maybe?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will also add that this Breeder has provided a nearby police department with one of their K9s so I would hope they aren’t a bad source. For what that’s worth

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know someone with a dog that light. I almost hate to say it, but it was purchased from a BYB with no papers. They have had a lot of aggression problems and the dog has attacked their senior dog several times. Of course you can’t generalize, but good breeders don’t usually breed for unusual colors. There are so many German Shepherd breeders, a buyer should be able to find a reputable breeder with sables.
What did your friends dog grow up to look like?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Dilute colors like blue are a fault. A breeder who is intentionally breeder a blue bitch is not someone I would consider a reputable breeder. They are most likely breeding her for the "rare" color factor.

Paper honestly mean nothing unless you know how to read a pedigree. All papers represent are that the dog is purebred, not well bred or healthy or sound of sound temperament. You may get lucky and get a good pet or you may end up with a health and/or temperament nightmare from a breeder who will have washed their hands of any issues once your money is in their hands.

·
Registered
8,260 Posts
I will also add that this Breeder has provided a nearby police department with one of their K9s so I would hope they aren’t a bad source. For what that’s worth
This is not necessarily a good thing. Small departments have small budgets and often the officers source the dogs themselves.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
What did your friends dog grow up to look like?
It stayed very light and never developed a traditional sable coloring. The dog is supposed to be purebred but because of the coloring, doesn’t look like it is. It’s also slightly possible her dog is not purebred. She only met the dam.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Thanks for the reply! This pup comes with papers and tbh this seems like a “rare” color for them and they by no means are breeding for rare colors dad is a sable and moms a blue! So if I were to venture a guess it would be more of a “silver sable” maybe?
Blue is a fault. Most breeders would not breed one.

·
Registered
712 Posts
To the OP, GSD are a very popular (and commonly found) breed. I would run away from this litter! The “breeder” does not even seem confident in identifying her own litters colors.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here are pictures of my sable pups from around 8 weeks old till now. I just took these photos today! They are 9 months old. (Ignore their weird face, I’m holding a treat & they always make this face in anticipation)

They are darker sable and were the only two that dadk in their littler. Their mom as a dark sable and their dad was black and red. We saw up to date pictures of a previous liter (they were a repeat).

Their siblings were more of a lighter sable as puppies. I’ve attached pictures of a GSD I follow on Instagram whose dog was a lighter color sable pup like my dogs Litter mates where.

Unsure of their colors now (we visit the breeder next week & they kept one) but I will update when we know how they look now. Not much different then the posted pics of the other dog I suppose. They also had one bi color in the litter.

The pups should still have some markings regardless if they are sable, blanket or bi color I believe. I’m not an expert but they do not even look like GSD puppies to be honest.

Attachments

·
Registered
769 Posts
I agree that these are not well bred pups and question whether or not they are purebred.

In the first picture, I would imagine the larger feet are the mother of those 2 pups. She seems to have white feet. Is that female purebred? I know that GSD's can have white feet, but it seems odd they would breed one with those markings. I could be wrong about that, but I would think it would not be desirable for a breeding female.

I, too, would be leery of buying from this person. Seems to be very much a back yard breeder to me.

Are the parents health tested for the diseases that can plague GSD's? Do they have passing x-rays for hips and elbows? Do the pups come with any health guarantee?

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
In the first picture, I would imagine the larger feet are the mother of those 2 pups. She seems to have white feet. Is that female purebred? I know that GSD's can have white feet, but it seems odd they would breed one with those markings. I could be wrong about that, but I would think it would not be desirable for a breeding female.
Why not?? 2018 FCI Bundessieger has a big white spot on his chest. As does his daughter who just stole the big dog's bone behind me. Her sister had a white foot but that seems to have faded as she's growing.

now, obviously the breeder in the original post is not top notch up to standard but that white spotting doesn't mean they shouldn't be bred.

·
Registered
769 Posts
As I said, I didn't know, so thanks for that clarification. Our older dog has a white patch on his chest, so I'm aware that they can have white.

I would think that multiple bright white feet in an adult dog might not be the most desirable, (probably wrong about that, too), but especially if the dog hasn't proven itself in performance. But then, I would think that no animal that hasn't proven itself should be bred, no matter the coloring. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
A dog that hasn't proven itself is a totally different topic than spotting. Again, I think the breeder on this post is a backyard breeder, no matter what they've told the OP about providing police dogs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts